Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Thought it might be handy to have a thread for some of the more advanced brewers to give some advice on recipes.

Let's see how it goes eh...

Views: 70952

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yeah I do as with more water touching the grain for a longer period of time has to add in more flavour!! Not just extra sugar!!
Whos your BIAB mate? Is he on here at all?
yeah he is... if i'm lucky, he'll reply to this thread...
i'll give him a prod. :-)
That'd be me mate! Got to remember too that when Mark says 80% efficiency that's for my into boiler %. Overall (brewhouse %) I'm still hovering around the 65% mark but think it will improve if I can finally nail my numbers. I seem to loose efficiency in my boil phase.
How do you lose efficiency during the boil? Is your SG lower into the kettle than it is into the fermenter??

I havnt personally checked my eff into the boiler, I just take an OG reading once its all in the fermenter with the volume, I dont even include the litre or two that gets left behind with the trub..
Yep exactly, I can hit my numbers or get very close into the boiler. But once I get into the fermenter I've dropped a couple of points. Not sure if I'm using too much water or leaving too much shit behind in the kettle. The last brew I did I got higher efficiency from the mash than usual because of the using less water we talked about. Then I got my boil volume up to planned amount through sparging. Once I got to fermenter I was slightly higher gravity reading but was 2L under planned! I thought about topping up but like the idea of a stronger bo pils so left it as is!
It could be all the protein that is in the wort solution prior to boiling it all off and losing it to trub. I reacon it must make the wort more viscous making the hydrometer do funny things anyone kinda agree?
definitely agree, hydrometer readings prior to hot break are much higher, maybe from all the protein in solution
Also there is nothing wrong with biab mashing!! its the sparge that is the issue.
I'm sure the soluble protein would affect the gravity but I cant say I know by how much. Its never really mentioned anywhere so I would assume it was very little. unless we have just discovered something new about brewing...:)
It's funny that it's not mentioned anywhere - I've had a wort drop 10-20 points post boil, my grav dropped significantly after evaporation! Except for fly sparging, pre boil grav measurements seem to be meaningless
Yeah you adjust your Hydrometer readings for the temp aye?

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service