Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Thought it might be handy to have a thread for some of the more advanced brewers to give some advice on recipes.

Let's see how it goes eh...

Views: 70952

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Slow it down to about half that rate, and your sparge will improve.
The faster you drain/sparge, the easier it is to get stuck.
Bugger and I thought that was pretty slow, but I can see the logic.

I suppose a 40 minute sparge is normal looking at the literature.
I've taken up to 1½ hours all up to do mine, even with over 50% wheat I don't get stuck sparges.

I just go away and do something else while it does its thing.
hi guys, i'm working on an APA for the brew comp at the malt house in november.
it's on the upper end of the style i think, but wanted to get a bit of input before going ahead with it.
base malt is bairds pale btw.

also, dry hopping after 6 days. that ok, or should it be sooner/later?

Recipe: Big Boy APA
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 20.00 L
Boil Size: 31.36 L
Estimated OG: 1.057 SG
Estimated Color: 7.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 53.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 90.91 %
0.25 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 4.55 %
0.25 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L (30.0 SRM) Grain 4.55 %
15.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] (Dry Hop 6 days) Hops -
15.00 gm Motueka [7.00 %] (Dry Hop 6 days) Hops -
30.00 gm Liberty [4.30 %] (Dry Hop 6 days) Hops -
15.00 gm Cascade, NZ [7.40 %] (90 min) Hops 14.7 IBU
20.00 gm Motueka [7.00 %] (20 min) Hops 10.5 IBU
20.00 gm Liberty [4.30 %] (20 min) Hops 6.4 IBU
20.00 gm Riwaka, NZ [5.40 %] (20 min) Hops 8.1 IBU
20.00 gm Motueka [7.00 %] (10 min) Hops 6.3 IBU
10.00 gm Cascade, NZ [7.40 %] (10 min) Hops 3.3 IBU
20.00 gm Liberty [4.30 %] (10 min) Hops 3.8 IBU
30.00 gm Liberty [4.30 %] (0 min) Hops -
20.00 gm Riwaka, NZ [5.40 %] (0 min) Hops -
Looks pretty good mate, malt bill looks nice allthough personally a bit too much crystal for me, thats not to say you should drop it tho as you might like it, plus it will hold up the hops more..

Hopping looks nice, ive never tried Liberty myself so not sure what to expect from it, but I likw the Sauvin, Motueka and Riwaka.. Id probably be trying to get some Riwaka in the dry hop if it were me, but I love passionfruit aromas ;o)

I generally dry hop about 4-5 days after the yeast has been pitched, and leave them on the beer for 10 days...
i got a 100g pack of liberty from nz hops, and i'm using it all cause it is an american hop, and i wanted it to be the main flavour/aroma.

i know nothing about it as well. not found anything on google about it's spec.
so it's experimentation all the way i feel. :-)

also, i'd use more riwaka, but there is no more. well, not at nz hops anyway. :-)
the seasonal supply is dried up until next year.
From the CB website, Liberty is a US variety of Hallertau, so not sure how it will mix with all these fruity varietys, but it could be quite nice, a bit of herbal spice to carry all of the tropical flavours through...
...i know nothing about it as well. not found anything on google about it's spec...

I think Liberty is noble-type variety grown in the US, so is a more spicy and German-like than the typical US fruity/citrus varieties.
Nice!! Dont drop the crystal or caramalt Green Flash use 14% of that mix for there IPA and its the best one I have tried!! but then again they use 7% Dextrose to help dry it out as well.
Keen for some feedback on this vienna/wheat pseudo lager thingy

40% Vienna
30% Wheat
20% Pilsner
5% Munich II
4% Cara Munich II
1% Melanoiden - Ive got this in here to help the malt?? Not sure if it should be here or not tho really...

Thinking of a single bittering addition at 75 mins of something high alpha like nelson sauvin, columbus or maybe galaxy?? to get to around 30 odd IBU's, aiming for an OG of around 1054...

And then ill ferment as clean as possible with S-05

Any thoughts?? These malts are pretty new to me
Bro I dont even now where to start with it?? Its Like Vienna Munich Melnodin, Big Bad Malts. Pilsner? not, Wheat 30%? Caramunich 2? Rasians? What you want your finished product to be?
The pilsners really just there to make up the rest of the grist, and I thought the wheat might work with all of the vienna and munich?? In some way???

I guess i was going for something with some rich character with a bit of hoppy bitterness to hold it all up...

Should I maybe look at cutting the munich and melanoiden and just do something with pils vienna and wheat??

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service