Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

How to increase the popularity of realales (beers)

Just wondered what the opinions were on this subject. At the moment I feel that the real brewers of NZ are making some headway into the market, but I dont think the big boys are quaking in their boots. So what can change this? Price;availability;education;marketing? What can change the typical drinkers attitude;turn them away from the tasteless foam they so willingly swill?

Views: 125

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Can't think of an individual that's big enough apart from an All Black...pah....maybe get Epic on shortland street....;0)
NZHerald's Poll has Helen Clarke as the greatest living New Zealander. Maybe she's a craft beer champion-in-waiting?

*rolls eyes*

Ever since Sir Peter and Sir Edmund passed away there's not a lot going on in the greatness stakes is there...
She'll appeal to the wrong demographic....
You don't want manly women who eat at the Y and lie at every chance they get to buff their own ego being an ambassador for craft beer? Fair enough. ;)

*hides and waits for the takedown request*
Yes, very offensive...Given the general legend Helen is, worse people could advertise beer.

Even half decent women with taste have trouble being advocates...remember Aaron W from Cap Times...He is great for it. He advertised the some beer festival as "even having wine for the missues". Huh. Also had some beer tasting, with a female judge where it was felt appropriate to say that wheat beer was a women'sbeer.

I reckon a manly woman would have better taste, actually...
Heh, I was just kidding. I'm not her biggest fan for sure. I had a gutsfull of people still thinking the sun shone out of her arse no matter how many times she was caught bang to rights doing something dishonest. It all just slid off her. I prefer people to get their comeuppance, not get called the greatest living NZer after all the dishonesty. That said, you're right, nowhere near the worst person to advertise it.

The "beer for women" thing is a pet peeve of mine also. It becomes self-fulfilling. Most women I know who are into beer like it big and hoppy, just like most guys I know. I'm not sure why there'd be a difference in beer of all things. Is there wine for women?
The Queens Head pub on Queen St in Auckland (sort of opposite the Town Hall) is up for lease. It has a sort of fake UK pub design to it. It doesn't have the ability to be a brewpub ala Twisted Hop or Galbraiths, but why couldn't have tap beer supplied by NZ's best boutique breweries and a good range of imported beers, it could be Auckland's answer to the Malthouse. However there would be a downside, the masses don't know about decent beer, yet.

I also agree that the target market for real ale drinkers shouldn't be 20 yo Lion Red drinkers but those mature drinkers who gave up beer years ago. To this end the Beer Store is a good way to start, send a relative one of those sample boxes and get them to experience a new world of taste.
well it worked for Phoenix on Shortland Street
I'm also a good example, i loved waikato draught but now would drink it at all but i believe the potential has to be there.
What I’m advocating is using the path of least resistance and marketing good beer as cool not for it's flavour. Who cares why they buy it as long as they do! In general I think it's a waste of time trying to convince Mr Lion Red to drink a beer that’s 3 times as expensive but will do the same job….sure there’ll be individuals that will come through but in general why bother when there’s easier and more amenable targets?
I'd never loved anything other than that which I'd not tried before... until "Bookbinder", which was soon followed by my real epiphany "Forty Winks". My search continues but I've now got a decent bunch of Go-To beers.
I agree with the small steps idea jumping from a $10 a 12pack Tui to a $ 20 a 6pack Epic for the price
shock. For the flavour shock it would be similar to going from soggy brocolli to a hot chicken sambal!.
Dont be so quick to dismiss Macs/Monteiths they have at least 2 good beers which serve purpose as "Gateway Beers" for the uninitiated Tui/Lion swiller!

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service