Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94693

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Brewd on the 9th, FG at 1.010 on the 17th and bottled. It has been in the fridge for 5 days so that makes it about 10 days at 22. normaly that gives me plenty of time to carb up. but maybee not this time
One way to tell is to take a gravity reading from one of your bottles. If it is more than 1010 then you know the sugar in the bottles hasn't fermented out. Personally I think it may be a perceived sweetness from the carahell - that stuff can really add a lot of mouthfeel to the brew.
So is this ADM stuff the business?

Has anyone noticed that Barrett Burston Aussie Pale is a weird colour? All of my light brews with it seem to turn out almost a greyish tone? Joking would probably remember the colour of my hefe.
It was Grey for sure... but it smelled and tasted pretty damn good! I have a feeling the colour has a bit to do with the levels of protein in the malt. I've used BB before, but with Irish moss - so they turned out fine.
Yeah, I'm using IM as well, not in the hefe though, but meh, I'll see what happens. Still got 25kg to play with haha.
I heard a rumour that BB malt is mostly used in baking! Dont know haw much truth there is in it - but I wouldn't be surprised.
Just checked pre boil gravity target was 1.041 and got 1.043 with an additional litre of water. Nice straw like colour and at $14.50. If the beer turns out, I know what I will be purchasing.
you could be drinking this a fortnight. My quickest grain to brain turnover was 9 days with a pale ale. 4 day primary, 4days secondary, 1day carbonating at 3.5bar then 5 mnutes to enter the blood stream.
Brilliant!! My Problem is, is that it would be gone within the fortnight!!
I'm having a crack at an alt-ish style beer. I did an overnight mash and the temp dropped to 44! I think I got away with it since the mash smells ok.

Mashed at 64 deg to get good attenuation, added some CaCl to bring out some malt character. Thats the theory anyway, no idea how it will turn out.

Hopefully this cool weather will hold out so I can ferment the S-05 at a slightly lower temp. Does anyone know how low I can get away with with S-05?

Alter Skalter
-------------
Style: North German Altbier
Batch: 19.00 LAll Grain

ADM Pilsner 3.30 kg, Grain, Mashed
German Munich 0.75 kg, Grain, Mashed
British crystal 95-115L 0.20 kg, Grain, Mashed
British black patent 0.10 kg, Grain, Mashed

NZ Super Alpha 16.00 g, Pellet, 60 minutes
NZ Hellartau 25.00 g, Pellet, 20 minutes
NZ Hellartau 25.00 g, Pellet, 5 minutes

American Ale yeast 1.00 unit, Yeast, S-05
Calcium Chloride 4.00 unit, Other, 4g added to mash
US-05 Steve ?
I used it in an extract ale, started at 15C and took itself to 18c, but that was a month ago. Ferment was a very impatient 10 days

Using it in the grain version of the same ale at the moment and I don't think I'd get it under 18C unless I put the fermenter on the concrete floor. Welly's warmed up a bit in the last month
US-05 was all I had in the fridge. Its been sitting on 18C this whole time which I'm happy enough with.

OG came out at 1.044 which was a bit annoying. Probably mostly explained by less evaporation and me upping the water volume slightly without scaling the grain.

I wonder if I can blame some of it on the low mash temp though.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service