Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94693

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Mike that looks like something I could drink ALOT of, in fact, its making me thirsty just looking at the recipe!! Be keen to know how it turns out!
Yeah I have never used Amarillo as a sole hop so for me it will be intresting but then again I have had it in a few sole Amarillo beers. I might push the Sulphate and Chloride on this one as well.
Looks nice Mike. I've been thinking lately about mashing low and including Carapils in the grist just like that, best of both worlds. Personally I'm not a fan of Caramunich in pale ales that aren't Belgian but it looks Amarillo will be the star of the show in this beer anyway.
Yeah I dont like it either if it makes up more than 6% in a pale ale by itself but I love it when it is mixed with other caraed malts as it adds a depth of flavour through out the whole pallette. Cant wait to drink it!!
Just had a hydrometer sample of my latest batch of American brown. Both my mild and southern English are decidedly average, the Amarillod up beast is tasting like a good un. Restoring my brown ale faith.
Oh well, MASHO !

30 minutes in to the hoppy nz brown and waiting for the cloud to blow away

Anyone else brewing ?
Also half an hour in. Doing a wheat for the case swap. Trying a new false bottom today so we'll see how the sparge goes.
Lucky to survive that boil with clean pants ... boiling 26 litres in 28 litre kettle, all fine until the chiller goes in along with a fist full of hops @ 15 - boiling wort a cm from the rim. Gets worse with 10, 5 and 1 min additions

Missed the gravity, 1.046 not 1.050 but 22 litres in the fermenter instead of 20 - I really need to callibrate my stuff - but at least the hydro sample was flavoursome and bitter
I did a brew this evening, starting at around 5:30. Figured I might as well get one more use out of the witbier yeast that I grew up from a bottle of Three Boys wheat. And it's feijoa season. And my girlfriend is very fond of feijoas. So I decided to make a feijoa wit :)

20L batch
2kg Malteurop Pils
1kg raw wheat
0.9kg wheat malt
0.25kg flaked oats
(I foolishly didn't do an inventory of my grains before starting, thus the mix of raw wheat and wheat malt)

Mashed at 65.5C for 80 mins. Just put the raw wheat straight in with the mash as apparently its gelatinzation temp is around 60C. Given my efficiency numbers it seems like this worked out fine.

18g Pacifica at 60 mins
20g fresh ginger at 5 mins
16g lime zest at 5 mins

OG 1.045, 16 IBU

Wyeast 3944 grown from a bottle of Three Boys wheat.

Once fermentation's done I'm planning on adding 1.5kg or so of scooped, frozen, thawed and pasteurized feijoas in secondary.
That sounds very interesting, how many limes did you need to get 16g of zest? Also, with the ginger, do you just peel and grate it? Cheers!
I don't remember exactly how many limes it was... About six. Small amounts of the white peel-pith did get in there along with the zest, as I was using a carrot peeler rather than a zester. Hopefully that small amount shouldn't make it horribly astringent..
As for the ginger, I just peeled it and sliced it very thinly. Figured it would be easier to keep it out of the fermenter if I left it as slices.

I could definitely taste both the lime and the ginger in the wort, though both were still reasonably subdued. This is pretty much what I was aiming for, as they're meant to be compliments to the feijoa, yeast and grain, rather than being the "main attraction."

This should be interesting if nothing else :)
How did this one turn out mate? Hope to give it a go this summer.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service