Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94693

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've noticed that Riwaka can sometimes impart a little strawberry aroma when used as a dry hop. Maybe that could be used to reinforce the strawberry flavour?
That's another great idea! I have only a little left, so in it goes!
I've finally decided on my the recipe for my 2009 Barleywine. Mashing in will commense first thing in the morning. And before you spelling Nazis have a go at me... I know that it's not how you spell debilitated...

I see you're another who has gone down the Global Kolsch malt route. Albrecht was talking to me about this on Saturday. How are you finding it? I'm almost out of base malt and wondering whether I should go with this next.
I've gone through a couple sacks of it already. I love it. Naked Poppy 2 (Hoppy Poppy) was brewed with it - Yakima Monster 3 is brewed with it (I did a double batch of it) West Coast Blonde 3 is 100% Koelsh malz... I love the shit out of it.

At Hallertau - the Luxe had 50% Koelsh Malz - its in Deception too. You would have tasted those beers when it was in... I can't recommend it enough.

And I have been getting 90% efficience with it in my 1.050 beers.
I even brewed an ESB with it and 1968 yeast... and it was very malty.
That's good to know. I'm planning a series of English bitters and was therefore leaning towards another sack of Maris Otter, but now I'm not so sure.
Well... Maris Otter is 6 EBC, and this stuff is 8 EBC - so it is an indication of how malty this stuff can be. It's not full on though - I'd liken it to a brew done with 4.5kg Golden Promise and 500g of Munich.

I had the recipe on here a while ago - it was a SMaSH brew with Amarillo and 1968. Turned out to be quite nice. Bit of marmalade from the Amarillo... wish I dry hopped it though.
177 IBU, you sick SOB!
I ended up upping it to 188IBU, James. I dont think that conventional brewing rules apply to Barleywines though mate. Like - this beer wont be opened for the 1st 6 months anyway, and by then the vast majority of the IBUs will have dissolved out of solution.

What I'm planning on doing late in the fermentation is boiling another 50g of Chinook in 6L of water and reducing that down to 1L, then adding sugar to it (up to and SG of 1.112) for shits and giggles! That should give me another 50 - 100 IBU right there!
If youre interested Martin ill go halves with you in a sack of Kolsch malt... let me know...
Sounds like shit. I wouldn't drink that if you paid me!

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service