Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94693

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

...I don't think I have the patience to keep something sitting in a fermenter for months at a time :)

Neither did I.

But it's quite easy to dump a culture in a fermenter and hide it away somewhere and forget about it. I've got two sours going at the moment, one at about 8 months and the other at about 4. Pretty low maintenance once they're stored somewhere - just gotta keep an eye on the airlock. The only real downside for me is it ties up fermenters which is a bit of a bugger.
Just chilling the wort now for the American Wheat I've been brewing this afternoon/evening.

2kg Malteurop Pilsner
2kg Weyermann Wheat
0.2kg Caramalt
0.1kg Caramunich 2

Mashed at 66C

60 minute boil
25g Sorachi Ace 10.9%AA @ 20 mins
25g Sorachi Ace 10.9%AA @ 5 minutes
25g Sorachi Ace 10.9%AA @ Flameout

OG 1.050
28IBU
Reckon it'll end up around 4.6%ABV

Ferment with US-05

As is pretty obvious, this is my attempt to see what Sorachi Ace is really like. My parents brought me a pound of them when they were visiting from Canada in February.

It's a high alpha hop (mine's 10.9%AA, which is low for the variety, it's usually 13+.) Originally developed in Japan, mine's US grown. It supposedly gives strong lemon flavours and aromas that I reckon will go well with an American Wheat.
Awesome!
Interesting that you brewed a "wheat" to test it - but with S05 I guess it'll be near as clean as an APA (but with lots of head retention).
Either way sounds great.
Heres what I brewed on saturday with company, made a few changes to the original recipe due to some things not being available... It was a good day, got to taste some of Haish's beers as well as a few of my own, and also ended up with a higher efficiency than I was expecting too which was a bonus!! Looking forward to this beer, I have averagely high hopes for it haha

OG - 1051, IBU - 33

3.9kg Maris
180g Melanoiden
135g Dk crystal
135g CaraRed
90g CaraBohemian
45g Chocolate

60 - 10g Columbus 14.2%
15 - 12g Simcoe 12.2%, 10g Cascade 5.8%
0 - 30g Cascade

Wyeast 1469 - Which has kicked off nicely, cheers Hamish, much appreciated for reviving this for me :o)

Also just purchased an 85 litre kettle which is the first step in upgrading my brewery, once ive got a bit more cash will be able to start putting things into place for double batches.............. and traditional mashing!!! :oO
Where did you get your new kettle from Rev and is it electric? I've been toying with the idea of upgrading also.
Purchased off our very own Denimglen as it was surplus to his needs... Its just a standard SS kettle at this stage, but im tossing up whether or not to go electric as if I stick with gas, im going to have to upgrade my burner and reg.... Decisions decisions... What are your thoughts on the matter? What do you think will be cheaper as this will ultimately be my deciding factor ;o) lol
I like the idea of going electric but I don't know the details around what you need. I doubt it would be the cheaper option.
I personally love having a big ass flame in my brewery, but hate all the soot that it gives off, allthough my freebie 2 ring camping burner isnt really adjustable so if I get a new one I shouldnt have that problem... Hmmm
What volume of wort would you be boiling in your 85L kettle and what sort of burner would you need?
Im only planning on doing double batches as my mash tun will be my existing 30L kettle converted.. Im guessing for 40 litres ill be boiling about anywhere between 50-55L?? And im guessing at a bare minimum would require a 3 ring burner with a medium pressure regulator, I dont think the bbq reg will cut it ;o)
So why are you wanting to brew double batches Rev, has your rate of consumption exceeded your rate of production :-) ???
Mainly wanting to do double batches for when I brew Cream ales and IPA etc, just so I dont run out as quickly, and itll also give me a chance to have a play with split batches cos at present I cant bring myself to take up a precious fermenter with anything less than 20L ;o)

And also, cos I brew a helluva lot, and with Enzo getting older finding the time is becoming more difficult, so its a no brainer really...

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service