Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94693

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yeah defintly drowned my sorrows yesterday!! and feeling a little worse for wear!! Just going to bottle it and chuck it in the fridge as if I enter that garage today to brew its likley to happen again!!
Dude...

Doooooood.
I just had a 1469 shower, im fermenting my Old ale in a cube cos I dont want to infect one of my fermenters with brett and not be able to get rid of it, and ive been venting the lid every so often, I popped home for lunch and it seems that having it cracked a wee bit to let out built up pressure wasnt enough, I took the cap off and was covered in 1469 slurry...

Mmmm, smelt like bread yeast hardout! lol
LOL, head down to plastic box / payless plastics and get another cap for the cube, drill a hole in it and use an airlock with grommet!
Or go into your kitchen, get a hunk of foil and just cover the hole with that. Allllllll goooooooooooood.
Very true Glen.

I dont use anything other than the best - 100m of Gilmours foil for 18.99
First try at an American styled PA (due to an addiction to buy American hops lately!)

5.00 kg Pilsner (2 Row)
0.25 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine
0.25 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
10.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (60 min) Hops 9.5 IBU
10.00 gm Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (60 min) Hops 15.7 IBU
10.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (20 min) Hops 5.8 IBU
20.00 gm Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
1.22 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc

Mashed in @ 6:30 this morning when the temperature outside was minus 2.... my balls are fken cold...

Would a 45min protein rest cause any issues? The urn decided to throw a mental and after finding a new cord to run it and get up to temperature about 45 mins had past... any issues you guys can see?
Why bother with the protein rest? and tripple those hops!!
The theory is to get a better extraction from the pilsner malt... but that my be a little deluded on my behalf.

Triple??? That would throw the IBU up to about 90 odd! Never had anything with that leave of IBU....
No add them all at the end less Ibu's more flavour and aroma and a big dry hop, dont get Dutch on it get american!! Bigger is Better!!
Sweet, so 60 min additions as is, drop the 20min and up the flameout? Weight suggestions Mike?
Pull that 20min addition down to 10mins, and up it to 40g. Your flameout addition could go up to about 60grams - but it's up to you... these hops aren't cheap!

That would give you 100g at the "end" of the boil... I generally go for that type of figure for a "hoppy" beer.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service