Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94693

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Is that water pH?

That's quite a big swing.

The pH of the water doesn't really matter as the HCO3 and phosphates in the grist create all sorts of buffers so there's really no relation between water pH and mash pH.
Thats pH is quite high mate - whatever you're doing is right to get such clear beers!
7.8 at source, 8.2 after aeration... Acidity to pH 8.3 (as CO3) was 1 g/m3

Last ale (Blonde Joke) was done using North Canterbury water which I have no idea what the make up is... it got a little lactic and a little CaCl2 anyway...

My pH meter has died, so I'll have to put in the usual requisition form with the Minister of Finance for another soon!

With your advise in regards to fermenter finings made all the difference in the Blonde Joke Joe.
www.ccc.govt.nz/water/howwegetourwater/chemicalanalysis.asp

That's what I've been using. Can't imagine it differing much throughout the city seeing as it's all from the same aquifer...
Hmm, I have the same problem, Martin. I probably have the same report. It's deciphering, what it means in layman's terms
I had it too - I wanted to complete the etire process at 20 degrees - including conditioning... in the end I had to crash cool it to drop it down. I waited a whole week after the FG was stable. Funny thing was - is when I stirred the yeast into the beer, it would go apeshit - through the airlock and all... even though there was no food for it!
Regarding the concentration of liquid CaCl, these guys say 33%:
http://cskfood.com/ingredients/309

Dow chemical have a liquid product which is :28% - 42%
www.dynalene.com/pdf/CalciumChlorideDow.pdf

I reckon 33% would be a safe bet, looks like I should recalculate my recipes - I was assuming 100% - duh.
how did you get 101% malt bill? maybee that been my problem!! lol:)
That's the secret to the best bro ;-)
Kiss My Heine

"Dutch" Lager

95% Pils
5% Carapils & Caramunich 3 (Combined)

30gm Tettnanger @ 60
10 Hallerau NZ @ 10
15 Tett @ 10

10 Riwaka @ flame out

Arse of a day and the beer is just about to go into a cube for no chill as I have had WAY TOO much good beer....
As I said, arse of a day.... My inventory said I had a pack of imported hallertau, which I didn't, but I had 10 grams of NZ in a bag... and topped up with some Riwaka at flame out as it is probably my favourite NZ hop at the moment after making of the Blonde Ale.

I have a bit of a fussy head this morning after my brother in law and I hit the Blonde Joke.... man that is too easy to drink.... grain to gut in three weeks...
Best Bitter
Maris Otter, munich, crystal, dark crystal, Martin Bridges' home toasted 'victory'. OG 1.042
Mix of NZ goldings, DSaaz, NZ cascade to 34 IBU.
S04

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service