Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94693

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

All went well, koppafoc'd for the first time and got my clearest wort ever
Went a little over efficiency and got 1.041
After getting your advice from the recipe advise thread (or RAT as it will now be known!)

Dark Crystal Stout

4kg Pale Malt
.25 Crystal (light)
.25 Chocolate
.25 Roast
.25 Carapils

25gm Greenbullet (Go the bullet for 33 IBU)
S04

OG was 1.053 so a lot higher than I had estimated (1.044) based on 70% efficiency, this puts it up to about 83%, which is great if the beer tastes as good when my calculated efficiency was 70%. I do however agree with many of the advanced brewers, it's only another 1/2 kg of grain! :)
Wouldn't you use the usually stout adjusncts like oatmeal or flaked barley rather than carapils ?

But please note - I have never brewed a good stout !
I was going to use oatmeal, however went with carapils... probably a bad move, but I didn't have any oatmeal at the time!
That addition of CaraPils will give you stout a creamines similar to adding lactose to the bill. IMO I reckon it will turn out similar to a "Milk Stout" - not a bad stout if you ask me.
So maybe a coffee with cream.... :)
A little disappointed with this brew into the bottle, a little astringency??? or could that be the amount of crystal used (first use for this pilsner brewer!). The blonde in the fermenter is tasting NICE.... several hydrometer readings were taken while bottling the Dark Crystal Stout.

Back to reconditioning my two new corneys!
I reckon dark beers allways need a week or so to condition out the astringincys James, i cant say ive ever enjoyed a hydro sample of a dark beer.. My Port stout was horrendous at bottling time, so much that I didnt open a single bottle for 3 months :o) And now its amazing..
Let's hope you think that when you open the case swap bottle of Dark Crystal! :p
Case Swap American Hybrid thing?????

80% MO
12% Rye
2% Light Crystal
2% Dark Crystal
2% Pale Choc
2% Choc Wheat

Bittered With Pearle, 60min 30mins 40IBUs

Late additions of Cascade and Centenial adding 25 ibus

S05

I have no Idea what this is going to turn out I have no expectaions either you's will be the JUDGE!!!
What OG you aiming for there mate? And you bastard for using Rye in the case swap, thats what im doing :oP lol, Now I definately have to use the Roggenbier and not my Rye IPA :oP
1.084. I'd add yours in I dont have a clue on this one dont even know If it will turn out? Will just give it a go!! I got the rye there burning a hole in the bag its just screaming out for use. I would of dont a wheat rye beer but have no Noble like hops.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service