Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94693

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Fuck me, no-chill it.
Is that not even an option? I can't believe you'd rather tip it. What a waste.
:o( So did you actually tip it?
Nah, ended up no chilling it but had to do it in the kettle, couldn't completely close it up.

Hopefully there were enough hops and gravity in there to keep the odd nasty from taking hold.

Pitched a sachet of 05 this morning, fingers crossed.
Ive no chilled in the kettle heaps with no probs but usually wrap about 15m of glad wrap around it...

Hopefully youll be ok... My prayers are with your beer lol
Haha cheers, I think it'll need them.

Just is the ultra suck cause it used up all my decent US hops that I had. Ordered some more from craftbrewer the other day but I dunno when they'll turn up.

Hmmm, lots of problems to iron out today.
Sounds like you need a beer allready :o)
Yeah, a box of Double Brown would set me right.

I reckon this beer is going to be one of two extremes - extremely infected and undrinkable, or the best beer I've brewed and because of all the hiccups completely un-recreatable haha. I think this is the first time I've brewed and hope it comes out average!
My first partial today - Divine Brown American Brown Ale.

Type: Partial Mash
Date: 25/01/2009
Batch Size: 16.00 L
Brewer: Ally
Boil Size: 10.00 L Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: My Equipment
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
1.50 kg Muntons Light Extract (10.0 SRM) Extract 43.99 %
1.00 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 29.33 %
0.71 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 20.82 %
0.20 kg Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 5.87 %
20.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [11.40 %] (60 min) Hops 22.0 IBU
20.00 gm Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] (20 min) Hops 6.9 IBU
25.00 gm Williamette [4.60 %] (5 min) Hops 2.4 IBU

Bit chaotic with the grain discovering the mash tum (aka a big casserole) wasn't as big as I'd thought/hoped it to be. Not expecting much, but its been a fun learning experience. New outdoor burner is working a treat though.
Holy shit mate thats alot of crystal aye! I give my mate crap for putting a kilo in 25 litre batchs, and yours is only 16???

Just my 2 cents, but I would probably cut that back to about 200/300g and up the Maris Otter?
Thanks mate - I'll bear that in mind for the next batch - this one was a sort of' 'get a feel for what I'm doing' thing. Marris Otter was meant to go in a 1kg, but the no room in the mash for it. Should have added them the other way round.
Thought I'd keep the volume low so its less to drink if I don't like it. I'll let you know what it tastes like once its done, but aye cheers for the advice re the crystal - all good to know
No worries mate, im not saying it will be bad, just candy sweetish, but if youre into that sort of thing its all good :o) And with all those grains in there im sure it will turn out fab compared to any kit brews youve done...

Nice combo with the styrian and williamette by the way, tasty :o)
Only my fourth beer, but I've been impressed with the Styrians and Willamettes in my first non K&K's so thought I'd give it a whirl again.
Not sure I'll be a fan of candy sweetness - just trying to broaden my brewing horizons cos otherwise I'll get trapped brewing ESBs and APAs all the time. Ta again for the advice, its a steep learning curve and I appreciate it Maybe next time I'll post the recipe before i brew and get the feedback so I can change it before its too late : )

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service