Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94693

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes it is a substitute. Do you plan on using the whole 400g in one brew?
Nope not the whole amount 3% of grist though which makes it about 180g
Sounds about right. I only ask 'cos I made a couple a wrong tasting trappist beers with around 10% melanoidin in them. You can use that much if you are making an Irish Red - but the maltiness that comes from melanoidin is very strong and overpowering.
How much Specialties in % you grist did you use?
There was like 2% chocolate 5% crystal and about a kilo of dark candy sugar. The FG was too high - didn't pitch enough yeast I'd say the SG was like 1.086. I used WyEast 1388. You could probably use 10% aromatic malt - but you'd want an FG of 1012 to help dry the malt flavour out. Mine was about 1.018. I should have mashed at 65 - 64 for an hour and a half.

Any way - you never stop learning!
Nope and I find its my favorite part is 'allways learning'!! I figure if your not improving your done something wrong and using this forum is one of the best advice I could give anyone!!
Oh yeah, I'm trying brewblogger and hadn't set it up yet for actual ingredients.

Its a MySQL/PHP app which I've installed locally. Its not bad but smells a bit of PHP h4x0r. (you want apostrophes in your recipe titles? that costs extra!)
It's open source... we put apostrophe in commrade.
Steve,

I'm curious too (and jealous), where'd you pick up the Belgian Aromatic from?

I know what you mean about the boil frustation - I've also had a heap of problem with wind disturbing the flame on my 3 ring burner, and couldn't maintain a boil. I had a "sleeve" knocked up from galvanised steel which fits snugly around the boiler. It's pretty simple really but very effective. If you're interested I can post some pics later.
I got the Belgian Aromatic it from the Dunedin Malthouse a few months ago.

I made a baffle out of foil oven trays. They're a bit clumsy as I have to squish them around the pot. Something like you describe might be better.
OK, I'll post some pics soon, as I'm doing a brew tonight so you can see it in action.

I'll post on a separate thread.
I brewed this one about 3 weeks ago and kegged it yesterday. It was clean with a smooth mouthfeel already and a nice grainy taste as well as a hint of floral aroma. Not quite dry enough for it to be a truly drinkable Pils @1012, but nice all the same. Maybe a bit of carbollic acid will dry it out a touch. Now, I'll lager it for a month and drink it when it's ready. The brew is for the "WBC" competition at Hallertau on the 28th of Feb. This quater the style is Pilsener.

New Plymouth Pils
2-A German Pilsner (Pils)

Size: 24.96 L
Efficiency: 79.4%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 166.1 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.050 (1.044 - 1.050)
Terminal Gravity: 1.012 (1.008 - 1.013)
Color: 3.82 (2.0 - 5.0)
Alcohol: 4.91% (4.4% - 5.2%)
Bitterness: 40.8 (25.0 - 45.0)

Ingredients:
4.68 kg Bohemian Pilsner Malt
0.71 kg Vienna Malt
76.32 g Liberty (4.2%) - added during boil, boiled 60.0 min
25.44 g Liberty (4.2%) - added during boil, boiled 1 min
1.02 ea WYeast 2112 California Lager

Schedule:
Ambient Air: 21.11 °C
Source Water: 15.56 °C
Elevation: 0.0 m

00:03:00 Mash In - Liquor: 13.48 L; Strike: 73.19 °C; Target: 66 °C
01:03:00 Saccirification Rest - Rest: 60 min; Final: 64.2 °C
01:04:00 Infusion - Water: 6.95 L; Temperature: 99.4 °C; Target: 75 °C
01:14:00 Mash Out - Rest: 10 min; Final: 75.0 °C
02:14:00 Sparge - Sparge Volume: 22.5 L; Sparge Temperature: 76 °C; Runoff: 29.52 L

I pitched the starter at 10degrees, which gave me 36 hours of lag time. A bit of a scare - but I'm happy now: no diacetyl or acetyldehyde.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service