Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Ok, so What Are You Brewing was a hotty, as topics go.

Now I'm 15 pints into a keg I only filled on Tuesday and wondering if anyone else has a favourite at the moment ?

It's my second brown with US-Oh05 and it's better than the forst, maybe Ikept the temps down a bit during the scorcher we had in januray

Views: 20376

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sneaky 1st taste of my Motueka ale last night - lovely showcase of the hop, its spicy with a slight citrus background and some earthyness in there too.. The WLP-001 hasnt flocced out yet but when it does this should be pretty good!
Snuck in a Sierra Nevada Porter.

Now it's my own IRA.
7.5%: Pearl Malt, a big chunk o' Cara 2 and another big chunk o' (homemade) Amber Candi Syrup.
62IBU. Sauvin to bitter. Imperial Styrian and Motueka through the rear end.
Kegged last week. Cellared one and fridged the other this evening. Sampled the not quite full fridged keg....

Nnniiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiicccccce. Has some potntial to sharpen up. I might keep that full keg for something special.
Kid Chocolate: boy I like this beer. Amazingly, so does my wife. Might need to buy some more. Or maybe dig out that recipe.

Pliny. The wife does NOT like this, thank God. I do though. Wow. Wasn't sure quite what to expect. I expected barnstorming bitterness. I expected huge hop flavour and aroma. I did not expect such balance. Bloody lovely.
Motueka Ale - Still hasnt flocced :o( Which is annoying me, I thought wlp-001 was supposed to be really good for this?

Irish Red - Dropped pretty much bright - red tinge allthough more cola like than red IMO, the roast barley really comes through even with such a small amount, nice full chewy malt taste with a dry roasty finish.

Martins Barleywine - Awesome, has developed a rich malty sweet aroma and a warming mouthfeel! Very tasty, cheers mate!
WLP001 = W1056 ?
Flocculation is moderate. Flocculation improves with dark malts in grain bill. Normally requires filtration for bright beers. DE or pad filtration recommended

Go US 05 instead for nice bright beers
But I was talking to Mike and Jo, and even Steve at H was saying that apparantly WLP-001 is quite a good flocculator where as 1056 is not...

Oh well, might just have to use some gelatine
Can't comment, haven't used any of the American Ale yeasts as a liquid. When did you pitch ?
Pitched on the 26th of April, kegged on monday... Ive turned the chesty down to 0.5*c to see if I can drop it out over the next couple of days, prolly use some gelatine also...

It just annoys me cos I know its gonna be a good beer, just need to get rid of the yeasty taste and ill be smiling...
It is a good floccer - what have you done?

Just jokes... it'll take about a month to get bright. Just use some gelatine if you're impatient.
Sounds like you need to compare mash, fermentation and yeast handling regimes with Mike Jo and Steve ?

Or maybe you need to spend some money on a filtering set up - do I sniff another Craftbrewer purchase coming up ;-)
Hmmm, filter set up you say? Id probably rather just buy some more kegs and up production so that I have some kegs conditioning for a fair bit of time before drinking...

3 on tap - 3 in rotation, would be perfect :o) Actually, id probably want more eventually haha
I swear by the gelatin now that JoKing gave me the information.. bright beer in two days after racking...

I now have a filter set up too, which I thought I might brew the same beer twice with the same method, gelatin one and filter the other... very scientific of course! :)

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service