Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Just wanting to know how long is everyone waiting for the S-05 to clean up the beer? Every beer I ferment with S05 leaves me with a cloudy beer out of fermenter (Even sitting for 3 weeks). I have split Fermented a control using S-04 to see if this has been bad practice. After 7 days the S-04 is crystal clear and the S-05 is just like other S05 brew I have brewed. I have one at the moment that looks like a good Wit and believe it or not tastes like one also? Heres the recipe to prove it aint.

5.00 kg Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (3.9 EBC)
100g Cara-Pils/Dextrine (3.9 EBC)
10gm Nelson Sauvin [11.40 %] (15 min)
60gm Cascade US Plugs [6.80 %] (15 min)
30gm Cascade US Pellets [6.30 %] (10 min)
5 gm Challenger [7.50 %] (0 min)
30gm Cascade US Pellets [6.30 %] (0 min)
10gm Nelson Sauvin [11.40 %] (0 min)

1 Pkgs S-05

Views: 543

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Fuity and in a wine glass. I guess beer really is the new wine ;o)

Good old US-05 eh, never a dull moment.
Just picked up 4 packs from the Home brew store in Palmerston North today quite litteraly off the back of the truck!! I helped him un load it!! The new packs have an expiry of 06/2010!! that alot better than those damned 05/2009 packs im drinking an the 03/2009 right now and it as clear as my head this morning (No Alc for the last 5 nights).
Scored an */10 pack this arvo, can't remember the month though.
So they're only 8 or 9 months old ?
Sad that we think that's good & fresh.
Seems we're at the end of the dried yeast chain in NZ eh
Hahahahaha 8 or 9 months? Piss off :-P, from fermentis themselves -

"1/ What is the shelf life of the yeast?
The shelf life is shown on the sachets individually and is two years from the date of manufacture."

Kinda makes me wanna just use liquid.

One Wyeast 1056 like 20 bucks, split into ten vials, $2/vial, each vial stepped up in starter ($3) to pitchable amount = 2 + 3 = $5, what's a sachet of US05?...$5. And making the starter ensures fresh yeast, just might have some contamination risks.
Did I miss something ? If their yeast has a two year shelf life & expires in 06/2010 then it's got 15 months left - so it's 9 months old ?

I know the cost of LME has gone skywards - DME for some reason is still $10/500gm though - but $3 a starter DG ????
Ok, maybe I've just had a couple too many IPAs tonight.

My bad, was looking at it backwards and inside out or something, indeed, manufacture date on a 06/2010 would then be 06/2008.

LME, haven't bought for a while to be honest, I only use it for starters so a couple of kilos goes a long way. I think last time I bought it, the bulk stuff from BC anyways, was like $8/kg or something? I use like 170g per starter, so more like $1.50 per starter excluding equipment, electricity, nutrients etcetcetc.
Well heres a question; I can get 150L of 1.040 wort out of a sack of ADM? isnt that just cheaper to make starters out of its a little more hassle but man it a great price!! How does Wort Freeze?
I'd probably boil it after being in the freezer, but good point, why bother buying D/LME ?
Yeah I have been asking myself this queston alot today and funny the price of DLME can up I just made a starter with the last of my DME !! Im thinking I might do a brew of Starter wort and freeze it in 2L bottles I just want to know if it keeps? I can get 15 2L Riggers out of my system and it will only cost me $10 thats got to be worth it!! but thats not including labour LOL :)
Mike, I use a the dregs of my wort from my grain bag for starters, I collect whats drained into my bucket which is normally about a litre of cloudy as stuff, but I put it in a PET bottle in the freezer (not boiled yet) then on the day I want to use it do a 10 min boil and ive got starter wort.. Ive had a 500gm bag of dme in my fridge for ages without the need to use it..

You could just do an extra sparge even when youre finished to get a bit of left over sugars out of the grain maybe??
I get my run off pretty close to 1.010 I might do it on my next big beer though as that will probably end at 1.040 and if its less I could just us a little DME in that. Saves chucking the sugars out!!

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service