Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Thought it might be handy to have a thread for some of the more advanced brewers to give some advice on recipes.

Let's see how it goes eh...

Views: 70952

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've got no basis for this other than it being something I've thought about.
Sauvin at 60 and 30 (loads in there, maybe enough to flag the 60min lot even), and then mix the other through the end. 2/3 Riwaka and 1/3 Motueka.
Man, I love those Sauvin hops in Hop Rocker! Just dumped a whole pack in a pale ale - not sure how it'll turn out.
There's not enough of them in any New Zealand beer I've tried recently.
Three Boys Golden started off in the right direction. Knappstein Reserve in Aus really showcases them nicely.
+1 for Knappstein reserve lager, is a damn good beer!!

I was thinking of doing a NZ pils, with additions of Sauvin all the way through, something like 15 @ 60, 15 @ 20, and 20 @ FO, what do you think Stu? Should I use more to get close to Knappstein?
Make sure it is nice and bitter. Sauvin needs a strong bitterness to carry the flavour. Looks pretty good but I'd probably go for more in the middle... I love the flavour it gives.
I made a Sauvin only NZ pils recently, it's lagering at the moment. Additions were: 30@60, 12@30, 7@15, 7@10, 7@5, 12@0, came out at a touch over 50IBUs. Carboy tastings are awesome - it seems to suit the NZ pilsner malt and you get awesome mileage from the hops.
Yeh, it is a particularly smooth bitterness so I think people actually use it in too small a quantity. It is overt but if it has plenty of bitterness in behind it you'll enjoy the character so much more.

You guys have got me thinking of spring brewing, if I'll have time to get any brewing done. Spring is cycling time around these parts, and given I've not been on the bike since the end of November I'm picking I'll be on it a fair bit this spring.
Fuck you homos, back on topic, to my beer bitches!

:-P

Anyway, was thinking of going like 5:4:1 ratio of Riwaka:Motueka:Sauvin at flameout, maybe like 70 - 100g. Still dunno about the flavour addition, maybe the same ratio at 15 mins, but only like 30g or so.

Anyone? Anyonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee?

Of course this all depends on my order from liberty arriving by Sat morning, hint hint nudge nudge Stu :-P
I like the sound of that - not sure I know Motueka well, but love Riwaka and Sauvin and I'm sure it'd be damn tasty.
I think I offended everyone cause no one replied except you vdog haha.

I have no experience brewing with Motueka, have used a little NS and Riwaka ages ago. But this is what I've pencilled in unless someone tells me 'no'.

10g Riwaka, 5g Nelson Sauvin and 5g Motueka at 15 mins.
20g R, 10g NS and 10g M at 0 mins
25g R, 15g NS and 15g M for dry hopping.

Similar hopping rates to my last APA so if it's in that range of 'hoppy-ness' plus-minus a bit I'll be happy, here's hoping those flavours work out well.
I reckon it should be sweet! The motueka will add a bit of spicyness to back up all the fruityness youll get from the riwaka and NS
I'll be interested to know how it turns out - just about ready to drink my all-NS pale ale and think some late Riwaka in there might be good next time.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service