Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Thought it might be handy to have a thread for some of the more advanced brewers to give some advice on recipes.

Let's see how it goes eh...

Views: 70952

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I wouldn't use the crystal at all for a pilsner... and that schedule is spot on for a decoction too.
its planning on it being more of an ipa,hence the crystal,i may throw some munich in as well, i'm only thinking of using the pilsner as i have heaps of it,and i wouldn't mind doing a decoction just for the experience.
Thanks Jo.
38.9g of hops there Simon? Why dont you be a devil and risk 39.0g? :-)
:o)

I didn't notice that ... beer smith trying to get 25IBUs ... I think I'll push the boat out and do 39 :o)
Okay, time for another US inspired Ale...(or IPA)

I have Columbus (200gm), Amarillo (100gm), Simcoe (400gm) and Centennial (400gm)... help me use it up! :)

Malts: Pils, Pale, Crystal (20, 60, 120), Black Pat, Brown (well it looks brown!), Vienna, and varies bits and pieces.

Guessing something like:
Base 85%
Crystal 10%
Carapils 5%
Others 5%

Hit the IBUs about 60, for a 1050~1060 IPA?

Suggestions or even a pointer towards a performing receipe?
I'd go ...

Base 85%
Crystal 10%
Carapils 5%
bits and pieces 5%

Couldn't go wrong !

But seriously,

85% pale
10% vienna
5% crystal or if you want it a bit fluffier, go with the carapils, or better still, go with some wheat
Throw in a handful of black or chocolate just to take the edge off the crystal & give it a hint of colour
If it was me...
I'd hit the 85/10/5 grist that jt mentions (or maybe up the crystal slightly, maybe 8%), and as far as hops, just go nuts. I don't know a lot about US hops but based on what I've read, I'd use the Columbus to bitter, Centennial at 30min, and then lots of Centennial and Amarillo in the last 10min and in the dry hop.
Noooo, dont use the centennial untill 0 mins IMO, I dont care for the flavour profile it gives off too much, and Glen sorta agrees with me, but its a lovely aroma hop!!

Id bitter with simcoe or columbus, throw some columbus, amarillo and simcoe in from 20 - 5 mins, big 0 min addition of Cent and Amarillo (or simcoe), then dry hop with whatever hops will give you the aroma youre looking for, id probably use Columbus, Cent and Amarillo

And if it were me, for the malt id go something like
Base malt
10% Vienna
5-7% Carapils
3% crystal

My 2 cents :o)
Yakima Monster?
Definitely get some Amarillo in at flame out and dry hop, the stuff is just awesome. I've tried Amarillo/Simcoe together, I think the Amarillo dominated the Simcoe though in equal amounts. I'm doing a pale ale tomorrow with 92% Base, 4% pale crystal and 2% of light caramel and munich, this time I'm trying Centennial and Simcoe together at 10/0 and dry hop. Tempted to get some Amarillo in there too but with the last two brews being Amarillo I should really try something else!
" I think the Amarillo dominated the Simcoe though in equal amounts"

Thats really interesting cos ive allways found it to be the other way, I allways find the passionfruit of the simcoe more dominating than the mandarin citrusness I get from Amarillo..

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service