Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

With the cold snap in Auckland in the last few days, I was worried about the temperature of my fermenter (currently fermenting an IPA using US05)

I checked it at about 7am this morning and the stick-on thermometer was reading 16 degrees. It may have been even colder during the night.

I think I will build a fermentation chamber this weekend, I have a few designs in mind and I have access to a can of expanding foam and a bale of Expol under-floor insulation panels.

What should I use to add heat? I know some people use a lightbulb but I am worried this may adversely affect the beer.

Thoughts?

Cheers
Patrick

Views: 138

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I find the batch usually needs a D rest if you mess with it at the lower end of the scale.
i'm planning a psuedo lager with '05 for this cool season
Did you consider 2112?
Only momentarily, then discounted it on the basis of effort required vs time available
Fair enough. I'm getting a little tired of starters myself at the moment. Could be time to brew with US-05 again soon for me.
It's also keeping it simple.
I have a good repeatable routine at the moment with not too many things to think about.
When i start getting outside of that I go off track.

i get more consistent results with dry than I did with liquid - maybe my handling could have been better, maybe it would be now ?

Oh, and I think W2112 will do a bonza job for you Mr C !
My 2112 seems to be going well. Two days in to the ferment and it's been bubbling away solidly at 17C and has just started giving off sulphur through the airlock so it must have completed the bulk of the initial ferment.
"I get more consistent results with dry than I did with liquid" Out of curiosity what was unconsistent when you were using liquid yeast jt?
Ive been thinking about trying some liquid yeasts to cut my brewing costs down a bit (ie reusing the yeast) trouble is I probably dont brew regularly enough to keep a yeast going without to much effort?

Which of the liquid yeasts would be as versatile as say SO5 do ya reckon?
what was unconsistent

Probably me !

keep a yeast going without to much effort

It's easy to do with a little effort, I'm just lazy and easily distracted
Ive been thinking about trying some liquid yeasts to cut my brewing costs down a bit (ie reusing the yeast) trouble is I probably dont brew regularly enough to keep a yeast going without to much effort?

Look into freezing yeast (I think I made a link in the 'library' thread). Makes your yeast go quite far.
"Which of the liquid yeasts would be as versatile as say SO5 do ya reckon?"

I dont think there is one, US05 is pretty versatile and can be used in heaps of different beers, to me it seems that liquid strains are more focussed on particular styles, such as 1469 being great for any english beers, some dark beers and some pale ales..

Maybe 1272?? I guess that could be used in a heap of different beers but have never used it myself personally...
"Which of the liquid yeasts would be as versatile as say SO5 do ya reckon?" Maybe 1272??

Sure, why buy '05 at $5+ a go if you can make a smackpack last forever ?

That's fine if you only want '05 or liquid equivlent.
The good thing about liquids is the variety available, try something new.
Jo mentions Thames Valley II in another thread - I used & loved W1275
Certainly with the liquids there are a number of options available.

The thing with 05 is that one generally does not need to make it stretch to subsequent batches, as it is cheap as chups.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service