Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Just half-way thru the first bottle of the scottish amber ale, it has been in the bottle for 12 days (bit young I know) I am stoked with the taste, the balance is awesome between malt and hop flavour, but there aren't many bubbles in it. I knew the head retention would be poor as there is no wheat in there, but it is flatter than I thought it would be.

Can the different type of yeast affect carbonation levels? I used S04 in this one, and have used US05 in the last two. I added the same amount of sugar to each bottle as the other brews.

Any thoughts?

I think it tastes a bit like Caffreys. Stoked!

Views: 47

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Im not sure if 12 days is long enough for the beer to be fully carbonated from bottle conditioning? Maybe..

Also, how are you priming your bottles?
I think you mean 12 days? Well, I know longer is better, but I opened the last two after 10-12 days and they were way fizzier than this one. I primed them in the bottles with a red spoon from the home brew shop, used the larger side of it with normal table sugar. I am starting to think the style suits less carbonation anyway (funny how they start to taste better after the halfway mark :)

Makes me wish I was kegging - I could just pop down to the garage and turn the pressure up a bit...
Woops, I did mean 12 days... And yes kegging is ideal, and no doubt youll get there eventually ;o)

But in the mean time if you are bottling, I allways found Bulk Priming the best, using a measuring spoon isnt consistent, you might find that one bottle is fine, and one is slightly flat...

If you dont have a spare fermenter for bulk priming, you can mix up a sugar water solution in a pot and boil for 10 mins, divide the amount of liquid by the amount of bottles and disperse the liquid with a new syringe.. Then every bottle will have the same carbonation.
I think I will sort out a bottling bucket, I have a food safe bucket that I only use for sanitizer, I might get a tap for it that fits my bottling valve and I can rack into that from the fermenter and add the sugar solution. Cheap way of gainin some consistency I guess.
I primed them in the bottles with a red spoon from the home brew shop, used the larger side of it with normal table sugar.

What sized bottles ?
I go the small end - 3gm - per 750ml - Stu talked me into that, thanks chap

SO4 does seem to take an age to carbonate anyway though .... upto a month compared to 1 to 2 weeks with '05 though does depend how much yeast you have in the beer.

Nothing wrong with time though, this is about beer and it's not a race
I go the small end - 3gm - per 750ml - Stu talked me into that, thanks chap
I agree. Stu talked me into that too, thanks again chap.

Also, what temp are you storing the bottles at? Room temp (18-25) is the ballpark.

If you're confident the priming sugar volumes are OK, just keep waiting or drink it undercarbed. I'm pretty sure you wont be the first person on this forum to drink a flat home brew :) I just finished a glass straight from the fermenter!
I use the big end for 750ml glass bottles, carb level was great on the last two, we will see how this one goes. Going to have another one tonight then leave it another week. You are right about needing to brew regularly - if my dad and brother turn up for a session it can wipe out a dozen bottles easy - thats nearly half a batch!
Nothing wrong with time though, this is about beer and it's not a race

Agreed, but, when the budget only allows a home brew......

The trick is, brew lots, and brew in advance, and stock up!!
The trick is, brew lots, and brew in advance, and stock up!!

True.

Also some beers lend themselves to drinking young, some need to age.
I remeber coopers real ale being great after a week, the lager 3 months - just a comparison.
Sample often and know your beer !
Update: The beer is carbed up nicely now, just took a little longer. 2 factors spring to mind: Obviously the different yeast, but also this beer sat for longer in the primary than any of the others. Perhaps this meant there was slightly less yeast in the beer when it was botled, leading to a longer carbonation time. To test the theory, I will leave the latest batch of blonde ale in the primary for 2 weeks before bottling. This one was brewed with US05 so we will see how long it takes to carbonate. Thanks for all the input - learning loads!
Yeah reckon youre onto something there Patrick, if theres no visable yeast in the bottle it will take a bit longer to carbonate, probably closer to 3-4 weeks as opposed to the normal 2...

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service