Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

I'm currently working on turning an old fridge into a fermentation chamber. As per the directions on the Blichmann website (under the FAQ tab), I took the shelves off the inside of the door, but when I went to Mitre 10 to get a fibre glass sheet, they didn't have any and didn't know where I could get any. Does anyone have any thoughts on where I might get such a thing? Preferably in or near Palmerston North, but Wellington or an online source works too.

If not, is there a suitable alternative material? I assume that fibre glass is good because it helps a bit with the insulation and is easy to clean, but perhaps I could use plywood instead, as most of the insulation is in the door. I could also not cover it, but that's going to shorten the lifespan of the insulation in the door considerably. 

Views: 216

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Fibreglass sheet is easy to clean (if gel coated) and cut but also fairly flexible and tough, there's a few other things that should work.

Acrylic sheet (which you can get from Mitre 10) would work just fine, that or melamine or formica faced sheeting from Mitre 10 or a kitchen cabinet makers would probably work too. Plain 3mm ply might be OK if sealed pretty well.

BTW, I'm in Palmy too.

I would find what ever you can that is cheap and will fill the hole. Plywood would definitely do the job, or you could grab a sheet of perspex (expensive, but cleanable) or a piece of some sort of sheet metal. What ever you can find and repurpose I would think!

Okay cool. I'll go and have another chat to the mitre 10 people. And good to know there are others here in Palmy. I might message you with some questions if you don't mind, Hutch.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service