Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94693

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dont worry WBC can wait for the next 681 brews before your Imperial Mild!! It will take some time but I reacon it will be a dozy!!
What yeast are you using and what temp will you be fermenting at? I'm having a wee brew break at the moment as I wouldn't be able to keep it below 25c.

That Irish Red recipe looks quite good. I've only ever brewed one Irish and swore I'd never brew another but that one looks OK. I always struggle to understand those NZ Hops recipes. What's the 10% Adjunct? Sugar?
yeast

SO4 - I have three left to use- it's my 'brown' yeast at the moment
I used to use W1275 for the Irish Red.

I've been looking back and wondering why my grain brews are different to the equivilent extract brew. looks like my FG's are significantly lower now. And I'm not sure if that's grain vs extract or dried vs liquid, or more likely my process (I'd typically package a beer to a timetable rather than hydrometer)

I used brown sugar as the adjunct. I struggled with the hopping, where the late hops are given as a percentage of .....
I've been looking back and wondering why my grain brews are different to the equivilent extract brew
Which ones taste better?
what temp will you be fermenting at
Always at ambient, I have some pretty basic temperature contol - a heat pad if required in winter and the concrete floor for summer.
I'm going to be bold and call this summer so it'sthe concrete floor and 19 to 21C at it's peak. Beer changes with the seasons, each batch different, but similar

Which ones taste better?
I wasn't really comparing grain to extract.
There are some recipes or batches that stand out - batch 498, the Irish Red was one - and I have trouble replicating them. I suspect that my techniques have changed, perhaps some have improved too.
Just finished brewing the IPA:
5kg MO
.5kg Munich
.2kg Crystal 120
.2kg Torrified Wheat
90min mash, 60min boil.
Nelson Sauvin & NZ Cascade:
15g of each @ 60
15g of each @ 30
20g of each @ 15
30g of each @ 0

US05 yeast

Got 22L at 1056 - good result. Wonder how low it will go, should crack 6% easy enough anyway.

Thanks for all the advice!
I am at home with a sore back and just washed down a couple of nurofen with my first glass of the IPA

It is really good - Only been in the bottle for just under 3 weeks but I am stoked with it, my best beer yet!

Thanks for all the advice on this one - wouldn't mind getting someone with some more experience to try it and give me an informed opinion... Anyone live or work near Manurewa (southmall) or Carbine Rd in Mt Wellington?
Awesome work mate! How's the munich and marris otter combo working for you? Is it a malty son of a bitch? Some sweetness at all?
Patrick, if you're around Mt Eden road at 2pm on Saturday drop by Galbraiths for the SOBA meetup and bring a bottle. Plenty of educated palettes will be there.
Hmmm - have guests for dinner but will try and make it, I love that pub anyway!
"have guests for dinner"

have them over to Galbraiths for dinner instead :oD
Not a bad idea that - except they are basically tee-totallers (better half's family) I will do my best to be there, do the staff not mind you bringing in outside beer to sample? I better whack some more into the fridge to try and clear up in time! (clear being a relative term, as the beer is not fined so is a bit "opaque" to say the least...)

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service