Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94693

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"Motueka Monster will be waaaaay better though"

I want to say otherwise, but will hold my comments until I have tried both!
c'mon, put your reputation on the line

while you are at it, give us your World Cup prediction for the All Whites
Hahaha, well im sure those who know me know that I will have a preference for Yakima Monster, but thats purely because I love the citrus and pine resinous aroma you get from US hops, I mean, Motueka is a great hop but IMO doesnt stand a chance against Amarillo and Simcoe ;o)

And the All Whites - who knows after their win against Serbia? But I really dont see them beating Italy, as nice as it would be haha
Round of 16, without a doubt. I'll brew a mild if they don't...
First tip: There's no Motueka in Motueka Monster... Just like there is no Yakima in Yakima Monster ;-)
"There's no Motueka in Motueka Monster"

Oh I see what you did there, but now I really wanna know what its going to be hopped with?? Im guessing Sauvin and Riwaka?? Those two would probably be the closest to their US counterparts? Or am I way off?
There must be some Southern Cross in there?
Sauvin, NZ Cascade and Southern Cross

I'm not much of a Riwaka fan and I'm not sure how well it'd go with Sauvin. I am a big Sauvin fan.
Yum, I can't wait to do a Yakima v Motueka comparison :)
"Motueka Monster will be waaaaay better though"

You know what - you're probably right. Nelson Sauvin so so entirely unique and when applied to the brew in the right ways: it's unsurpassed. I admire that you have gone with few different varieties in the Motueka Monster and am really looking forward to having a side by side to appreciate the similarities / differences.

That is if I'm not too drunk to do so...
just don't drink Mike's Joking IIPA first!

I tried to build it so that there would be as few differences as possible (besides the hop terroir). The thing that disappointed me in the first West Coast IPA challenge was that the beers were so different that you couldn't really gauge the difference in terroir. I'd been expecting the same beer with different hops. Thankfully I got over myself pretty quickly and just enjoyed each beer for what it was...

So both monsters have three varieties, both have the same proportions of very similarly AA%ed hops at the same time in the boil and almost exactly the same overall g/L and IBU. fingers crossed on the ferment now but when I last spoke to Steve he reckoned they were tasting damn good!
What about the yeast, is it the same strain for both? Did you have to pick a yeast that would work equally well both US/NZ hops?

PS. Nice use of the word terroir

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service