Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94693

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

V2.0 finished at 1.022 so quite high. Possibly more to do with poor attenuation but the crystal didn't help.
Well how much crystal vs sugar was there in the first ?

Is the high FG a yeast or grain / mash thing there ?
Have the last two been Kolsch - and like the Rev said - what mash temp - be interested
Yep, last two have been kolsch. Mash temps have been 67-68.C. Aiming for the same on this one.
If the hydro sample last night was anything to go by this puppies going to be big an bitter!

Lemon, citrus, passionfruit and a hint of spice from the motueka. I'm not going to add any sugar the 05 has monstered its way from 1.058 down to 1.012 and I'm guessing it'll drop another point or two yet.

I'm just guttered we forgot the koppafloc because it's a tad murky right now...
This one's on the boil as I type.

Munich Dunkel
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Brewhouse Efficiency: 85.00 %
Actual Mash Efficiency 92.6 %

4050.00 gm Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC) Grain 84.38 %
500.00 gm Munich 2 (25.0 EBC) Grain 10.42 %
100.00 gm Wheat Malt, Dark (Weyermann) (13.8 EBC) Grain 2.08 %
98.00 gm Caraaroma (390.0 EBC) Grain 2.04 %
52.00 gm Carafa Special T2 (1150.0 EBC) Grain 1.08 %
60.00 gm Tettnang [4.10 %] (60 min) Hops 24.8 IBU
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Primary 3.0 days) Misc
1 Pkgs Southern German Lager (White Labs #WLP838) [Starter 5000 ml] Yeast-Lager

Mashe 120 minutes at 66ºC.
Beer Profile Estimated Original Gravity: 1.055 SG
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.015 SG
Estimated Color: 31.0 EBC
Bitterness: 24.8 IBU (18.0-28.0 IBU)

I had planned to use 150 gr Carafe Special II, but could only find 52 gr. Subbed the Caraaroma instead. Of course, after mixing and milling all the grains I found the missing 1 kg of Carafe Special II.
Oh well, I don't mind a little sweetness, and the Caraaroma has enough character to balance it.
Looking good Warra, I reckon that 2$ caraaroma should hit the spot, youll get a slight raisin character going on hopefully!
Thanks Reviled. I've never brewed a German lager to date, so I'm looking forward to drinking this baby in about 3 months or so! I'm a fan of darker and malt driven beers, and it's the Weihanstephaner Dunkel which inspired me.
Wow that looks great! I'd be keen to know what temp/time you ferment this for... That's a massive yeast starter!
I've set the TempMate to 11.5ºC. The recommended temperature range by White Labs is 50 to 55ºF, so that's 10 to 13ºC. Will leave it for 2 weeks to do it's thing, and then check the SG.
When I've used the Urquell yeast in the past, I've let it go 3 weeks before racking for lagering.

I'm a believer in large starters for lagers, as I pitch the yeast at fermentation temperature. I also believe, by doing so, that it avoids diacetyl and negates the need for a diacetyl rest.
okay last silly question.. Does the batch size of 23L mean the volume of your wort before you pitch your starter is 18L, or 23?
I actually got 24 litres into the fermenter, but more than likely I'll lose a litre or so when I rack it for lagering with the crud in the bottom of the fermenter. So I should end up with 23 litres to bottle.

I did a boil with 31 litres to start. 1 litre lost to cooling shrinkage, ½ litre in trub, 5½ litres in evaporation.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service