Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94693

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yip hopefully IPA style, but will have to wait to see how much mouthfeel the beer has got before dry hoping if its thinner than I want it will be English style dryhop if its got plenty it will be Yankee doodle!!!
Keep in mind the dry hop will increase the mouthfeel too! I found this out recently, I split half of my cranberry cream ale off before I added the fruit and dry hopped it with 100gms of American goodness, and its increased the mouthfeel in a big way!

Its actually crazy how much hop flavour it has also considering there was only a single bittering addition in the kettle!!
Yip, but it's no substitute for malted mouthfeel!!!!!!!!
I have some new hops and flaked rye so it now 6% Flaked Rye 4% Flaked wheat, instead of 10% Flaked Barley

10Ibu Chinook @ 60
10Ibu Chinook @ 30

30g Columbus 60g Centennial 60g Cascade @ 15
15g Columbus 15g Chinook 50g Centennial 50g Cascade @ 0
All done man dont ou hate it when you use 6.9kg of grain and over shoot your SG by 7 points 1.045 for 46 litres its like 92% Eff Fuck!! I had to stop the runnings @ 35L and top up the kettle up with the HLT water to 45L I took a reading and it was 1.045 and thats when I new I was in trouble!!
What was your base malt and why do you reckon your efficiency was so high?
I think Mike's efficiency was so high as he has golden balls now.... golden brewing balls.
Golden Promise. I honestly dont know? Whats screwed it up even more so was that I had to stop the runnings @ 35L as the run off was @ 1.010, Maybee the golden promise that is out at the moment is Super Diastatic Malt!!
I reckon it is the extended brew length. When I brew with say 4kg of grain for a 30 Liter boil, I get 90 - 92% efficiency also. I put it down to a more shallow grain bed and much more efficient sparge as a result. This brew here wouldn't be too different.

I do admit however that your batch of Golden Promise is uber fresh off the boat - it left England in October. But I'd still put it down to extended brew length.
When I brew with say 4kg of grain for a 30 Liter boil, I get 90 - 92% efficiency also

Do you keep the same mash grain:liquor ratio with a 4kg grain bill as you would for 5 or 6kg ?
I find mash thickness has an effect too. slightly thicker is better for me
About to kick off on an evening brew. Lovely night for it.

It was meant to be a bit of a Plan K clone but then I realised I had none of the malts or hops I needed so instead it became a malty Belgian bitsa:

The Best Laid Plans....

2kg Kolsch
1.4kg Pilsner
1kg Rye
0.2kg CaraMunich
0.1kg home-toasted Victory
0.05kg Crystal 120

Mashed at 67 degrees. 90-minute boil.

40g Pacifica @ 60
20g Pacifica @3
10g Nelson Sauvin @ 0

Yeast is Wyeast 3522 Belgian Ardennes. In fact the whole purpose of this beer is to grow up a good amount of that yeast for an even more bizarre beer to come.

Here we go.
Another turbocharged yeast! This one was pitched on Friday night and by last night it had come down from 1.048 to 1.012 and is looking for all the world like it's finished (no activity, flocced out etc.). I'll warm it up for a couple of days just to be sure but the hydro sample was tasting good. Best tasting starter I've ever made in fact :)

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service