Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94693

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

But then again im Imperiallising it from 3% to 4%

Oh you devil you!

Gonna boil this one?
Yeah stuff the 15min boil im going all out with a 60 I cant see any advantage of such a short boil. Last time I sour mashed and boiled for 15 and after the ferment it was full of DMS, this time its a Infusion mash sparge as normal, boil 60, cool to 37 pitch lacto for 1 day crash too 20 and ferment with yeast.
Sounds like the go.

I've never really seen a point in the short boil either, only reason I can think is picking up too much colour, but then if your pH is right there should be very little.

I've also heard that a sour mash with a pure lacto culture, instead of innoculating from the grain, works quite well. I've considered doing a Berliner Weiss this way to avoid separate fermenters and all that.
Just mashed this in, had to do it in my 5 Gal cooler as it like only 3.1Kgs of Malt!! Classic!! and it only half full!! aiming for 1.032 man this is a low SG beer!!
All done hit the target, little stuck mash but cleared it self up after the first runnings had gone, pitched lacto at 28 degrees, ended up with 27L as my eff was like 90% so I had to chuck 4L of it into my now solera sour beer.
Over half way through the first of two batches today, brewing for my birthday in Febrewery. Double batch of my NZ Pils which is a hit with the people that have tasted it.

NZ Pils.
94% Pils
4% Caramalt
2% Acid

Sauvin and Cascade to 35 IBU
W34 /70

On a side note, I am going to have to throw my first batch in 13 months. My global pils which should have been ready for NYE drinks has gone off.... I found that one of my corny posts has been growing a new colony of sentient beings, alas they will be evicted with 18 litres of beer which has turned to shit. Guttered. Now I am going to have to run my NZ Pale and left over case swap beer as well as buying beer for NYE. F***.
Gutted mate - can only hope the sentient beings enjoyed the pils
That's sad, very sad, commiserations.

Also had a loss over the weekend - 90% of a newly filled co2 bottle to a bad crimp on a tee in the fridge
I had a loss too - over 50 original recipes that were installed on my laptop.... and not backed up.
Another loss, I have ran out of fermenter space for a week after this weekend!!
Another loss, I havnt brewed in about a month :o( WTF is wrong with me??? Planning to do it hungover and punished first thing tomorrow, bet the beer turns out awesome ;o)

James - that really sucks, im sorry to hear that! At least youve got the CS4 beers tho!!
Enough losses. I'm about to gain ;-)

All set for a New Years day brew. WBC Dry Stout.

Kolsch
Roasted Barley
Flaked Barley
Mystery Grain X
NZ Styrian Hops (I was going to use Sauvin but I'm saving them since they're now on the endangered list)
Mystery Yeast Y

I'll reveal mystery ingredients in time. 'X' could be the difference between Welly HB Street Cred and "Pick a beer style please", while the mystery yeast may invoke some hostility from the opinionated :P

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service