Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Ok, so What Are You Brewing was a hotty, as topics go.

Now I'm 15 pints into a keg I only filled on Tuesday and wondering if anyone else has a favourite at the moment ?

It's my second brown with US-Oh05 and it's better than the forst, maybe Ikept the temps down a bit during the scorcher we had in januray

Views: 20376

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Right now I'm drinking the glory that is Ballast Point Sculpin IPA.  :-D

Been down in Dunedin for music stuff, and on the side been enjoying plentiful amounts of cheap Emersons. The "Bird Dog" pale ale is freakin' great. Castle Macadam Wines is looking good too (pretty much the best bottle shop in the South Island). The new stadium is a monstrosity (in a bad way).

Currently drinking Sierra Nevada 30 year anniversary "Jack and Ken's" barleywine. Raisiny, caramel, espresso, delicious. Worth the 30 bucks I paid for the 750ml bottle.

My Sunday just went from average to fantastic. Drinking this makes me want to move to the US.

I am going to have to try and brew several barleywines this year.

Had a few beers and dinner at Galbraith's last night. I've tried most of the house ales a few times so I thought I'd try a few of the guest beers on tap there.

Started with an Emmerson's pilsner, and loved the Riwaka hops combined with the crisp mouthfeel. Tasted a little soapy though... Not sure why that is and it isn't the first time I've tasted that in hoppy beer. Then we got a pint of Couchers APA which was divine. Loved the toffee twang sitting under all those tasty hops. Best beer I've had since... last week when I had a bottle of Hallertau Maximus Humulus Lupulus. I'm still dreaming about that beer. It was awesome. I even drank the sediment at the bottom. Finished with a Tuatara hefe. Not really my usual thing but was definitely tasty.

I'm in Toronto and was hunting down a microbrewery which was closed (down?) when I got there so I satopped in at a place called the BeerBistro.

I eased into a Rochefort 10 with an Aventinus - my favorite, accompanied by a very good braised lamb shoulder just because it makes me homesick and I noticed something I have never detected before...

They served the 10 at cellar temp (thank God) and this is the taste experience I had:

Lots of crystal malt for the first 10-15 seconds and then a rapid attenuation of this dominant malt flavour giving way to the unmistakably big character of chocolate malt.

I would love to know how they do this. It's pretty easy with hops but with malt? Wow!

Mikkeler Hard Core You @ Bell's Two Hearted Ale:

I had these right before flying back to NZ. These are two of my favorite beers for different reasons.
The Two Hearted Ale has a touch of hoppiness, and is a lovely balanced beer. In contrast, the Mikkeler slaps you in the face and says, "I am hoppy, Love Me!"

Lovely beers. I brought a couple bottles back to NZ to share with the North Wellly brewers. I wish I could have brought more!
That's alright Michael, we'll fill out the gaps with something (hopefully good) !
With the recipes I have been seeing online, there have been some good home-brews coming out of Welly this year.
Stella Artois... :(
Sorry to hear that.... ;-)
I just hope he finishes the 6 pack before we get there on Sunday
Moa pale ale.

I do not get to taste Sauvin hops very often these days apart from thornbridge south pacific ale, or Sierra Nevada's Southern Harvest.

This being the case, Moa's pale ale was refreshing, and welcome. Although I am usually a hop head, I did enjoy that this beer was well balanced, with a lovely citrus/fruit nose.

Ahhh..now the taste of the Stella has finally left. )

I was going past last thursday and called in for a tasting at Moa. I was well impressed with their beers and the use of NZ hops. The 5 hop and the pale ale were the favourites tho. I still have a couple of bottles of the 5 hop at home to enjoy.

Having been to an Epic tasting the week before I was enjoying tasting the difference between someone using all imported hops to someone using all NZ hops!

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service