Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

I have a dopplebock in the fermentor been in for 11 days fermentation stopped about 4-5 days ago I have been taking gravity readings with refractometer been 1.029 now for 3 days target 1.018 is this a stuck fermentation what shall I do , help??

Views: 235

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What temperature is is sitting at?

Have you tried "rousing" the yeast by picking up the fermentor and giving it a good shake around?

It does sounds like a pretty suck fermentation...

Provided you pitched enough yeast, and depending on temperature, lager yeast are usually pretty good at slowly chewing through the sugars. On a big beer like a Doppelbock I'd still raise the fermentation temp a few degrees toward the end to help it finish out. Which yeast are you using, how much did you pitch, and what was the pitching temp?

Hi there thanks for reply it was a souther German larger yeast wlp838 , said on package to flitch at 70-75 f roughly 21-25 c I pitched at 21c but got bubbling day after but not alot of it compared to my pilsner next to it which needed a blow off valve , I'm alittle confused now just looked here http://www.brewshop.co.nz/southern-german-yeast-wlp838.html
It says Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 10-13°C different to the label

Sounds like you're fermenting too hot for a lager if you're still at 21C. I usually pitch at 8 and ferment at 10C for a really clean flavour profile, and other folks pitch around 18C and ferment at 10-12C, which makes for a slightly longer conditioning time. Did you make a starter or just throw the vial in? If you didn't make a starter to grow up the yeast in the vial, there probably aren't enough yeast cells to finish fermenting a big beer like that.

Rehydrate a package of dry yeast and throw that in to finish the beer, and definitely use this pitching calculator next time for working out how big a starter you need.  

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service