Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Just wanting to know how long is everyone waiting for the S-05 to clean up the beer? Every beer I ferment with S05 leaves me with a cloudy beer out of fermenter (Even sitting for 3 weeks). I have split Fermented a control using S-04 to see if this has been bad practice. After 7 days the S-04 is crystal clear and the S-05 is just like other S05 brew I have brewed. I have one at the moment that looks like a good Wit and believe it or not tastes like one also? Heres the recipe to prove it aint.

5.00 kg Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (3.9 EBC)
100g Cara-Pils/Dextrine (3.9 EBC)
10gm Nelson Sauvin [11.40 %] (15 min)
60gm Cascade US Plugs [6.80 %] (15 min)
30gm Cascade US Pellets [6.30 %] (10 min)
5 gm Challenger [7.50 %] (0 min)
30gm Cascade US Pellets [6.30 %] (0 min)
10gm Nelson Sauvin [11.40 %] (0 min)

1 Pkgs S-05

Views: 543

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What are you looking at, cost-wise, for a box or per cigar?

Park Drive is about as fancy as I get when it comes to tobacco. Amateur as when it comes to cigars.

Hmm maybe we should start a new topic.
If I remember correctly the Cohiba robusto were equal to 120us a box? =40 cigars over here I think they are 60 bucks a hit!!
Two comments re this thread: I bought two sachets of 05 back in early Nov with expiry of 3-09 from Great Expectations. Made a mild bitter using it (first time I had used S05). I have to say after one week in primary and one week in secondary, it was the clearest beer I had ever made. I was blown away with the clarity. So.... not sure the yeast batch is bad.

Secondly... cigars are my second hobby after brewing. I have a humidor of a variety of Cuban, Central and South American. While Cubans are considered to be the best, it's not always the case. There is some amazing 'Cuban seed' tobacco coming out of Central America for much less $$'s. IMHO, the key to a good cigar is the quality of the filler tobacco and your preference on the wrapper (natural, maduro, etc) and your preference on the ring size (width). I prefer a maduro wrapper (dark, oily and peppery) with a large ring (good smoke with less heat). If you're serious about learning more, let me know. I'm always looking for someone to pop by Hataitai to sit on the deck, smoke a cigar and talk beer.

I actually learned to appreciate cigars from the same guy who taught me how to brew back in the States. First (and only) job where, in between brew days, we'd have two cigar and beer breaks each day.... that was the life.
Would be keen as to take you up on the offer but no plans to be in Welly any time soon.

Will have to look out for some nice cigars around here, would be keen as to start trying some.
That Cohiba is long gone ah Cuba what a place thats where I got it from if your looking maybe a little far though oh and that Caprinna not a bad drop either Crystal Beer though not so good!! Yeast? No worries!! just need to learn how to cultivate!!
Mike - Studio2 started a thre on cultivating yeast about a month ago - it bought up some great points. Also Revilled posted a link to the Aussie Craft Brewer website with some great tips on how to do it. Super easy.
The US05 bb dates at great Exp have been 03/09 until the last order that came in in 2008 and could be three months better. Pretty shabby really

Having said that I've been using that same yeast (same bb date) with no probs for a month or two and given that 05's supposed to be a slow or bad clearer I've been more than happy with my clarity from primary and certainly in the glass. I have a batch with the newer bb date in primary atm

I do have problems with it carbing up in bottles though, very slow.
I wish I was a little more messy when I brew then I would be able to find the old packets of S-05 on the floor!! Then I would be able to compare the used by dates?
Hmm .. pre christmas memories not good. I reckon if you bought before Christmas week it's 03/09 (which I've used and pleased with apart from bottle conditioning) After then it's the latter bb date. I'll check what it is, there's probably a pack at home

I'm still unimpressed that we're getting something so close to bb date. Isn't the bb date two years from manufacture ?
I dont think I will get my yeast from there, but in saying that where will I? Also I purchased the Yeast 2-4 Weeks before Christmas.
It'll be the 03/09 bb date then.

I was considering mail ordering from elsewhere - though wasn't happy with the thought of overseas - warm transits etc - but maybe the local NZ stock is all that vintage ?

What news from anywhere else in the country on your 05 bb dates ?

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service