Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Thought it might be handy to have a thread for some of the more advanced brewers to give some advice on recipes.

Let's see how it goes eh...

Views: 70952

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

ok so we're looking at pale maybe some medium and light too, is that the caramalt 30 EBC stuff? Any thoughts on this then?

92% Base, Golden Promise maybe
5% pale crystal
3% caramalt
Spot on bro!
I'd be tempted to go a little more.

I recently brewed a batch that was 93% GP, 5% pale crystal and 2% carahell, it was quite sweet but not exactly 'caramely'.

I'd be tempted to bump it up to about 7% pale crystal, and then go 2% medium crystal if you want a richer caramel flavour or 2% caramalt if you want a sweeter caramel flavour.
cheers fellas, I'll get this into beersmith and start looking at the hop additions.
can you dry hop with pellets or does it have to be cones? if pellets are ok then is there a limit to the length of time they should be left in the beer? cheers
I have been dry hopping with pellets, and leaving in for up to 7 days on occasion. (Don't know if this is a bad thing to do, but the beer tasted ok to me.)
I usually do 7 days warm (18 - 23degC).

I've only ever used pellets to dry hop.

I don't recommend dry hopping cold, I've done it a couple times and picked up little hop aroma/flavour but a lot of tannic/polyphenol/vegetal type thing.

Five to ten days is the norm. Usually over ten days you'll start picking up tannin/vegetal type flavours.
so throw them in a week before i plan to bottle is the go then?
Yeap, that's the go.
Had a look at the hops for the pale ale and thought I'd try a mot/centennial combo.

4.70 kg ..Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (Bairds) (3.1 SRM) Grain 90.91 %
0.36 kg .Crystal, Pale (Bairds) (50.8 SRM) Grain 6.96 %
0.11 kg .Cara Malt (Bairds) (17.8 SRM) Grain 2.13 %
22.00 gm .Southern Cross [13.20 %] (60 min) Hops 35.0 IBU
10.00 gm .Motueka [7.80 %] (10 min) Hops 3.4 IBU
10.00 gm .Centennial [9.20 %] (10 min) Hops 4.0 IBU
20.00 gm .Centennial [9.20 %] (0 min) Hops -
20.00 gm .Motueka [7.80 %] (0 min) Hops -
1 Pkgs SafAle American Ale (DCL Yeast #US-05) Yeast-Ale

42.4 IBU. Mash at 68c.

Any thoughts on this?

JoKing, do you still have centennial at Liberty?
I'm pretty sure his catalogue is up to date...

HERE
I was going to brew a stout for the competition, but realised that I do not have any chocolate, rye, or suitable yeast. (By suitable, I mean something like Irish yeast.) However, I do have the following on hand..any advice on something interesting that I can brew with any of this?

Golden Promise over 5kg
Malturop over 5kg
Pale Crystal about 500gm
Medium Crystal (150ebc) about 500gm
Oat Malt 500gm

CZ saaz hops
cascade US hops
cascade NZ hops
perle US hops
motueka hops
Wilamette hops
Pacifica hops