Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Hi folks, I just wondered what advice you might have for a foaming keg dleivery. My first AG brew and my first kegging effort, but I brewed a golden ale and kegged it and placed it in the keggerator (CO2 outside the fridge) virtually a month ago. I set the pressure on 100kpa and left it - barring of course tasting from time to time. I have used pressure delivery systems before and I open the gun fully and deliver down the side of the glass, as usual, but I find I still get excessive foaming. But when I let the beer settle and drink it, it is certainly not over-carbonated by any means, so I am a bit perplexed. I know tube size and length can effect these things, bit it is the Brewcraft system I am using that I got from Dunedin Malthouse, so I guess it is pretty well thought out. I did try dropping the pressure and venting the corny keg a couple of weeks ago, but still I got foaming, so I set it back to the 100kpa. Any thoughts?
Cheers,
Ian

Views: 36

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What temp you serving at?
"...Brewcraft system I am using that I got from Dunedin Malthouse, so I guess it is pretty well thought out..."

Hahaha noooooooooooooo, it's brewcraft we're talking about here :-P.

Use more line, I'm running over 6ft per tap in my set up. Make sure it's proper beerline too, the same skinny stuff that comes with that kit, can't remember the ID sorry.
Oh and here's some good troubleshooting.

And a line length calculator.
Temperature is around 6 to 7 C I guess. The length of line was exactly the comment someone else made and it is interesting to learn that Brewcraft don't suss the thing out all that well. But no worry, everything else they supplied seems fine so I'll do what you say regarding the pipe length. Is it just the delivery pipe from keg to gun you need to worry about and not the pipe from the CO2 tank to the corny keg?
Yup, just the line from keg to faucet, it just adds resistance to beer that's running through it, basically slowing it down. Imagine the difference between a slow gentle pour from a bottle compared to just inverting the bottle and dumping it into a glass.

I use bigger ID PVC line for the CO2 cause it's easier to get on to the disconnects than that 3/16" stuff.
You're not kidding, that pipe they supply is skinny and hard as hell, and even after sticking it into boiling water it is a bitch of a job to get it onto the fitting!
Thanks for the input.
I had the same issue Ian, replacing the one metre length with 3 metres sorted it out!
Cheers for that James. Did you use the same pipe that came with the kegging kit or a slightly large one like Denimglen mentioned?
Just to make sure things are clear -

For the keg to tap beer connections I used about 3m of 3/16" ID beer line (same ID as what's supplied with the kit).

For the gas connection I used the bigger ID tubing.
Ditto for me.

John Guest tube from Air Controls.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service