Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94601

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You can get 15 litre brew barrels from Stowers for about $38.... not the cheapest of course.

Don't the Macs brew barrels come in 11.5 litre?
Yeah, I've got a couple of those, the top on one is a bastard to get a good seal. Oh well...
A 30L brewcraft barrel and a 23L glass carboy.

I have another 30L barrel that I use as a bottling bucket (had a Barleywine in it until this arvo) and a 11.5L glass carboy currently hosting a mead (metheglin actually).
I've used the 30L barrel for several 11.5L macs kit based beers and they came out fine. You've tasted one of them :o)
Yeah, I wouldn't think they're be any problems using a bigger fermenter (within reason I guess) I'd just rather have separate buckets for small batches so I'm not tying up my bigger ones. That way they're easier to store too when out of action.
Kieran mentioned at the NHC prize giving that he ferments in a cornie keg.
de Joux Brew (IPA) - brewing as a thanks for a friend, who liked the last IPA which wasn't very bitter but very hoppy (90g Cascade dry-hop!), so looking at max 35 IBU.

5kg Pale malt
200g Light Crystal
200g Munich
100g Med Crystal
20g Black Patent (colour)

Now, this is where it gets interesting. Proposed hopping schedule is roughly this:
30g NZ Golding @ 60mins
20g NZ Cascade @ 30
20g Czech Saaz @ 30
50g Czech Saaz @ 5
20g NZ Golding @ 5
10g NZ Cascade @ 5

Comes out to a proposed 35 IBU with an OG of 1.055

Thoughts? (and yes, I want to use the 70g of Saaz I have sitting in the freezer)
It would require a tasting session for my opinion.... :)
I dunno how it'll work out but pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease keep me updated.

I've been thinking for ages it would be awesome to have a session beer that had the smack-you-in-the-face-hop-aroma/flavour of an IPA.
Which is exactly what I want to do! :D
I would take as much hop as you can and add it to your end additions and use your early additions to hit you required IBU's Just tasted my 70ibu Ameriacn IPA and it has less percived bitterness than my 30Ibu Golden. I find by adding all your hops at the end gives you huge, huge hop aroma and flavour, and a sharp yet non asstringent nor lasting bitterness, which I reacon you need for an IPA.
Reckon I use the golding for bittering, then move everything else up to the end?
Say:
45g NZ Golding @ 60
70g Saaz @ 5
40g Cascade @ 5
40g NZ Golding @ 5

As long as the Saaz has enough room to breathe... mmm, but I do love NZ Golding... and Cascade... maybe a little bit of Sauvin?! Hehehehe...

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service