Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94610

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A Blonde Joke
Brewed a Blonde Ale (which may be lagered yet) this morning as follows:

4.75kg Pale Malt (Should have been 5.5kg, but I didn't calibrate the scales...)
.5kg Carapils (Added at the last minute instead of more pale malt for shits a giggles.)

25g Riwaka @ 60,30,1, 3 day dry hopping when in fermenter.

First run with the 10 gallon mash tun, with SS manifold. Numbers as follows:
30.5 litres @ 1.045 from the tun . (Adjusted for temperature was 1.024 @ 70C)
1.053 from the kettle 26.5 litres. (Adjusted was 1.022 @ 83C)

From my last brew I reduced the boil to more like a roll, as opposed to a bubble, and lost only 4 litres, or a little over 10%, so next time I can reduce the total water required.

Cheers
That's some damned good efficiency James. Good work mate.

What temp did you mash at?
Thanks Joe, I used a multistep mash schedule:

50C for 30
65C for 30
76C for 10 mash out

Then sparged another 6.5 litres @ 76C.
Nice. That 65 step will combat the CaraPils nicely. Sounds like it will have a full malty rich profile to back up the100g of hops in this brew.
Let's hope the hops shine through, as I am a little disappointed with my Pilsner not having enough hops over the malt. I do think my pils is similar to the Krombacher pils you can get at countdown.... not sure it's a good thing!

Off to go play in the paddling pool with the kids, damn it's hot here.
This morning I brewed phase two of my split wort SMaSH brews. 10.5L each.

100% Maris Otter
1056 Yeast
OG 10.47
IBU 28

Beer One - Motueka Hops
15g @ 60min
10g @ 10min
15g @ 0min

Beer Two - NZ Styrian Goldings Hops
20g @ 60min
10g @ 10min
15g @ 0min

Still getting used to the new setup, getting better every time. Even got my hydrometer readings sorted out this time. It's amazing what simple things can get overlooked when you're self taught.
A Blonde Ale today.

2.8kg UK Pale
0.2kg Vienna
0.2kg Caramalt
0.2kg Carapils

Mash @ 66

Around 1.040

About 25IBU

4 g Southern Cross - 60
10g Southern Cross - 30
10g Ahtanum - 15
10g Ahtanum - 0

US-05

Koppafloc, bakers yeast and 5.2 buffer all in there somewhere too.
My brother used bakers yeast once... to ferment! It was quite bready funnily enough. And very fruity.
I've been using it at 15mins in the boil, dead yeast is apparently a good nutrient, I figure 5g-ish in the boil can't hurt.

Koppafloc is awesome too BTW, cheers mate.

5.2 is the business too I reckon. I wonder if there'd be enough interest to bring it in by whoever is bringing in the other two 5Star products.

Ahhh yeah, I started off brewing making cider with fresh-up and bakers yeast on some ill-advice from a friend. Not nice, although now that I think about it they were probably infected and not a result of the yeast.
Yeh, I've heard Fuller's pitch spent yeast into the kettle. Kempicus might be able to confirm, seeing that he worked there. So - why buy yeast when you could store a little of your own leftovers?
True, never thought of that, will start ding that once my bakers yeast runs out.
Bambule Cider v1.0

1 part Kingston Black apples
3 parts some red wild bitter sweet apples
2 parts some green wild bitter sharp apples

Juiced 10L of must with a juicer. Sitting in fermenter with 1 tsp of pectolase and a pinch of sodium metabisulphite. Will strain and pitch yeast and nutrient tomorrow. Feel like a hunter gatherer at the moment, picked 1kg of blackberry last night, maybe a fruit beer he thinks as he stares wistfully at his 3 boys plum, very nice btw.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service