Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94693

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

No. You use 10 times the weight of the dry yeast of water (e.g. 10g = 100mls water) and sprinkle the yeast into that. You wait 10 mins and stir / shake then leave it for another 10 mins or so.

You are making a wet slurry. The dried yeast product has nutrients added in with it that help wake the yeast up. If the pack is super fresh, I wouldn't bother with this... but if it's more than 3 months old, I would definately recommend it.

I get a baby bottle and nuke it in the microwave with the amount of water in there. Then I cool it in the freezer for about 10 mins until its about 25 degrees. Then I put the yeast in it, and rehydrate over the next 30 mins.

By the time it's finished - it's fizzing away nicely in the bottle.

Then I pitch it.

Then I wait a couple weeks.

Then I dry hop.

Then I wat a week or so.

Then I keg it.

Then I shake and bake the keg.

Then I get drunk.
Dont get hung up on cloying, im drinking a Lagunitas IPA at the mo and its as cloying as shit my lips are sticky!! Its an easy fix just a couple of tweaks and it will be right!! Make sure you have enough bittering hops in it make sure your (I know people will probably disagree) but make sure your water is right for style and your yeast healthy and your there!!

Your can brew a beer with like 30% unfermentables providing your water and IBU's are right I reacon.
mike's full of shit. You don't even need water to make a good beer - just use apple juice like this mad bastard!
Hahaha!!! Didnt you get a bottle of it? how was it!! In all seariousness though, dont trust a word I say. But on another note, Stephs beer had 14% Unfermentables in it with a mash of 67, and it was fine?? What did I do to make it right??
so the higher the temp, the more unfermentable sugars are produced?
Just to clarify, you added the grains at 68C? Your mash temp would have been much lower, probably around the 62C range - so it's likely you got quite bad conversion.
mash temp was 68. sorry for confusing people.
Hey Guys,

Question on 1056 just dry hopping an APA OG 1.053 and FG 1.008. Mashed at 68 - 67C over the hour. Is 1056 always this hungry?

Thanks
You better bet your boots on it. That stuff is crazy. Just like us-05 and wlp001. Your best bet is upping your specialty malts if you want extra sweetness - but make sure they arent too dark.

Americans use CaraPils and Crystal 15 - 40L 30 - (80EBC) around the 10% mark in total. Some go higher... but you can taste when you've overdone it.
Thanks Jo,

Yeah man it' a mad beast then.

This was my grain bill. Which sounds about right So hope the taste will be there. Might not have enough hops though :( with that extra alcohol.

4.00 kg ..Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (Bairds) (3.1 SRM) Grain 90.91 %
0.20 kg .Cara Malt (Bairds) (17.8 SRM) Grain 4.55 %
0.20 kg .Cara-Pils (Weyermann) (2.5 SRM) Grain 4.55 %

I'll account for that yeast next time. Thanks
Yeah, I find 1056 to be a maltose mowing monster, particularly on 2nd or 3rd generations. That bit of CaraPils should fill it out, and get you great head too (according to Joking)!
I brewed Yakima Monster again on Sunday with Golden Promise. The #1 original recipe from the start. I'm thinking about dry hopping with half as many hops as the recipe calls for though. Not because I'm a tight arse... but because of the value of seeing what impact this has on the flavour of the beer.

What do you homies reckon?

Half the amount - or keep it full?

Mike reckons half.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service