Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94693

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You should be setting up the A town yeast bank bro!
Fuck that, I'm too dirty to look after a bunch of brewer's yeast!

Honestly though, I don't trust myself or my work area enough to be able to provide pure, or relatively pure, cultures of yeast.
Here is a beer inspired by one of the best home brews I can remember tasting. This recipe is based on Mikes RyePA but made a few tweaks along the way... I dont have Pearle Hops, Choc Wheat... so made some acadaemic changes. When the brew is ready - Mike... you'll be getting your share.

Cheers Bro.

RyePA
14-B American IPA
Author: J Wood

Size: 24.39 L
Efficiency: 85.0%
Attenuation: 80.0%
Calories: 221.84 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.067 (1.056 - 1.075)
Terminal Gravity: 1.013 (1.010 - 1.018)
Color: 28.74 (11.82 - 29.55)
Alcohol: 7.05% (5.5% - 7.5%)
Bitterness: 61.6 (40.0 - 70.0)

Ingredients:
4.8 kg Maris Otter Pale
1.25 kg Rye Malt
.300 kg British Crystal 55°L
.100 kg Cara-aroma®
.070 kg Pale Chocolate
10 g Columbus (14.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
40 g Columbus (14.0%) - added during boil, boiled 15 min
20 g Simcoe (12.3%) - added during boil, boiled 15 min
20 g Cascade (5.8%) - added during boil, boiled 15 min
40 g Columbus (14.0%) - added during boil, boiled 1 min
20 g Simcoe (12.3%) - added during boil, boiled 1 min
20 g Cascade (5.8%) - added during boil, boiled 1 min
40 g Columbus (14.0%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
20 g Simcoe (12.3%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
20 g Cascade (5.8%) - added dry to secondary fermenter

Schedule:

00:03:00 Mash In - Liquor: 16.3 L; Strike: 75.01 °C; Target: 67.0 °C
01:03:00 Mash - Rest: 60 min; Final: 66.0 °C
02:03:00 Sparge - Sparge Volume: 27.21 L; Sparge Temperature: 78 °C; Runoff: 27.32 L
what's your yeast on this one?
I'm pitching a Liter of beer from my Yakima Monster brew that I did last week... and the yeast is either us-05 WyEast 1056 or WLP001.
Nice. My NZ IIPA (which I suspect will be more like a NZ barley wine) is still fermenting. It's chugged along pretty slowly but is getting towards the finish line me thinks. The imperial blend certainly doesn't give up in a hurry, will be interesting to see what the FG is.
There's nothing stopping you from taking a sample and having a bit of a peek (and peek taste too) when you get home... you might be suprised: it might have finished already. Most brewers start dry hopping when there is about 1 degree plato remaining (.004 SG). Have you chucked them in yet bro?
nah not yet... have checked the grav on the odd occasion tho, it's probably getting close to 1.020 (OG 1.110). Will dry hop in secondary towards the end of its conditioning, maybe for 10 days or so. Was planning a mix of Motueka, Pacific Jade, Riwaka, S. Cross, about 80g worth all up. Does this sound about right? Dry hopped a bitter recently with Styrian and NZ goldings and it tastes a bit soapy (wasn't like that before dry hopping!), don't want the same thing to happen with this brew
Soapy aye? Maybe the NZ Golding contributed to that flavour... Styrians dont normally offer that character. I've dry hopped with Styrians, and the results are pretty damn good.

For your IIPA - the amount you dry hop with really depends on how hoppy the beer is already. 80g might be under doing it a bit... but this really does depend on what you want in your beer.

Those High AA hops in there dont need to be added in the same proportions as the Riwaka and Motueka - I think if you had 70% of the dry hop weight as the R & M, and 30% as equal parts of the other 2 you should have some great characters coming through, I'd go 150 grams all up... but thats me!
yeah i'll definitely lean more heavily on the motueka and riwaka. maybe i'll bump it up to about 100, the beer is going to have to be aged so might as well not hold back!

took a grav reading last night, it's down to 1.020, almost a 12% beer! hopefully it won't go much further, don't want it to be too thin
Trust me it will never be to thin
Soapy, it will go as long as theres enough Sulphate in it!!

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service