Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

So my extract only pale with US-05 went from 1.050 to 1.012 giving me 76% attenuation with a relatively cool ferment
What's your experience been with US 05 and a grain beer ?
Ok, I expect some variation given your grain bill and mash temp.

Looking at maybe this, which I've done several times with W1275 and hopped with Cascade.
Thought I should try an American style yeast with the American style hops eh ?
How much hopping sort of depends on what I think I'll attenuate to though
Pale 86%
Crystals 11%
Chocolates3%

Cheers, jt

Views: 109

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I got the exact same OG->FG with my AG stout, it came out fantastic with lots of dry chocolatly-coffee malty flavours, everyone loves it :) Recipe's in the "what are you brewing" thread (it's also the stout I thought was infected, but wasn't)
1.054 - 1.016 extract irish red
49 - 14 AG APA
62 - 12 AG IPA
50 - 12 AG APA
50 - 11 ext US Amber

Good yeast, reliable, works, can't complain. Used it a few more times than that but didn't record FG. Ooops.
All Grain - American Wheat

Wheat 60% (3kg)
Maris Otter 40% (2kg)
OG 1.034
FG 1.008
ABV 3.8%

Hopped with Willamette, Amarrillo & Cacade

Very light beer but enjoyable & easy to drink.
Silver Medal at NHC
My favourite beer to date.
Cheers, chaps, quiet a variation. Were they intentional or was that just where they finished ?
Just where it finished, I always let mine ferment out completely because I still bottle everything and want to control the carbonation.
Just where they finished for me. But that's also a range of beers with different unfermentables etc.

Check out homebrewtalk.com if you need more praises on this yeast. They love it.
The feedback received from the NHC reckoned that there was an apricot flavour in my American Wheat Beer. It's a very light beer with Willamette, Amarillo & NZ Cascade hops. Could the apricot flavour have come from the US-05?

Jamil mentioned of one of his pod casts that he gets a peach flavor from US-05 in the lighter beers. Apricot? Peach? Not sure I'd be able to sopt the difference.
The vast majority of my experience with S05 is very good. However, all the beers I've brewed with it have been pretty gutsy so i'm not sure what sort of profile it'd give a neutral beer (have heard it is a bit fruitier that 1056, so maybe it is more like one of the other American ale yeasts?). It lets the malt and hop both come through, as opposed to S04 which really suppresses hop character (especially in the first few weeks after fermentation).
I've used it in a couple of 50 - 60% IBU / OG palish beers lately and it seems ok though the yeast is more distinctive than I thought it would be.
A ferment under 20C seems the go, I did a repeat of the extract only ale at 21-22C and it was quite different, verging on the honey described elsewhere and not really the flavours I was after (still drinking it quite happily though)

cheers, jt

oh, and seasoned greetings to you all, or bah humbug to those of you that aren't feeling festive
Interesting to hear that it contributes honey-ish flavours at higher temps. I think it's an experiment I'd like to try
Yea, this was totally unscientific and I didn't even have any side by side compaison, just some scrawled notes and a dodgey memory.
If you did something more along the lines Mr Cherry was describing you'd be doing well.
So what's your bottle conditioning like with '05 ?
I've found it rather slow to carbonate and the plastic bottles to harden up.
Priming with 6gm plain sugar per litre, tried ambient, tried warmer, still taking 2 to 3 weeks
Admittedly, I'm using less sugar than I used to, but I often lack patience !

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service