Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

What do people recon about the benefits / necessity of a protein rest for lagers? In particular I'm thinking of brewing a Schwarzbier.

You read things like "modern malts don't need protein rest" and this definitely seems to be the case with ales (as far as I can tell most ales are brewed with a single infusion saccharification rest) but is it also the case with lagers, the mash schedules are often a lot more complicated with at least 2 steps (protein and saccharification) . Are people just sticking to tradition when the malts have been breed not to need it or is there something in that protein rest?

Views: 106

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Lagers, pilsners and the one and one wheat beer I use a protein rest for 30mins at 50C then ramped up to 65C for the rest of the mash. I also have used this method on Amber ales and a high ABV stout.

I normally get a touch higher efficiency doing that but that is all I can notice. Some it will also help keep a beer thinner or lighter... so worth trying but you have to decide for yourself.

Thanks Grant, you have almost talked me out of it. Thin sounds like bad quality in a beer to me, like flavorless commercial rubbish thats made to be drunk by the doz. And I'm guessing by "a touch higher efficiency" you talking an amount too small to warrant an extra 1/2 hour on brew day.

I don't think I will ever brew enough lager to do a comparison of similar grain bills on different mash schedules. The longer boil and fermentation and need for a huge starter generally put me off but it good to mix it up sometimes.

I started out step mashing and doing proper lagers but have moved on to faux lagers - using WLP001 and M44 at 15.5 for a week and then ramping to 20 to finish up for another week or so. I think Peter Smith has a good write-up on it here somewhere. It's fast - easy to do and often with good results - I won a bronze and silver for my Faux Lagers at the GKBF comp earlier in the year.

If you do step mash (which I don't think is necessary - and am now way to lazy to do) aim for around 55 rather than 50. You want to break down the longer chain proteins but not the medium to short ones which are important for head retention. Resting at 55 theoretically favors breakdown of long chain proteins over the shorter to medium ones ones.

I'm looking into pressure fermenting at the moment which makes the faux lager route even more appealing.

Thin on a lager/pilsner is desired... and if ye are using wheat or rye the protein rest seems a good idea.

If you really want to have some fun try a decoction mash... loads of swearing with that but a completely different result.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service