Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

I recently purchased a can of Munton's Blond malt extract from Bin Inn. I don't usually shop here but was desperate to get a brew on over the Christmas break when all of the usual shops were closed.

It wasn't until I got home that I realised the can was bulging at both ends. The can was still well within its used by date so I went ahead and used it anyway. Some gas or something hissed out when I opened it and to be quite honest I'm not sure that it smelt very nice. The original gravity was 1080, others I have made have been closer to the 1035 mark. I'm a bit concerned.

Is my brew likely to kill me? taste horrible? or anything else? Its been fermenting for a week or so. I'll start measuring the gravity and see whats going on in there.

Views: 177

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A bulging can is usually an indication that there is something alive and multiplying inside the can... Canning is specifically supposed to kill all the spoilage organisms inside the can, but sometimes the canning proces could go wrong. The biggest risk would be botulism... Which the canning process is designed to destroy, and which if present and you consume the toxins could kill you...

I don't know how to tell if your brew is safe or not, but I probably would not be so keen to drink it!

That OG sounds strange? To get that high you would need to use a lot more malt than usual.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service