Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94693

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

And guess what's in the fridge for Sunday's Mini brew ... that's right 10g of yeast from Jo :o)

Didn;t even think about it. I could have done a large starter and split it.

What flavours am I going to get from the S33?
I think it's S-23 not S-33.

The strain is used by Western European commercial breweries and has been reported to produce lagers with some fruity and estery notes.
Recommended fermentation temperature: 9C – 15C, ideally 12C.

http://www.fermentis.com/FO/pdf/CB/EN/Saflager_S-23_CB.pdf
I've dug the packet out the bin and you're right it's S23...
Bottled this on the weekend. It's a bit sweeter than I wanted. Anyone know what I could change to dry it out a bit?
You could have upped the IBUs to help balance the sweetness, or you could have mashed at 64 - 65 degrees to help promote the β-amylase enzymatic activity (formation of more fermentable sugars) for around 90 mins. Or you could have used a more attenuative yeast strain... or a combination of the 3.

How sweet is it... what did it finish at?
OG 1.074 FG 1.021

Sweet and only just tasting the bitterness in the finish. I used a high mash at 70 for 45 minutes.
Well - I reckon that's the culprit right there. I'm suprised that it got as low as 1.021.
What do you reckon for a re-brew ... keep everything as is and drop the mash temp to 66?
Yeah - maybe use some US-05 as well (instead of s-23) but that's up to you. You may like s-23 in this beer. 65 degrees should get you into the 1.016 - 1.018 area.
Nice ... that finish is what I was after.

I was using the lager yeast to see what it adds. It's ok for style (as is being sweet, but I like my stouts a bit dry) so I think I'll stick with it for this next try.

I'll post you a bottle of this one when it's done if you'd like. You can give me your thoughts on the closeness to style for a 13D.
I reckon your never going to get it fermentable if you don't mash in for at least 60mins as well. I notice you only mashed for 45 mins. Alot of homebrewers mash for up to 90mins to give time for full conversion of the starches for fermenttable sugars.
I usually only do 60 minutes. I'll probably go for 60+ at the new mash temp and see what happens.

Maybe 60 for the next brew and 90 for the one after that.

I'm concentrating on two beers only this year ... this one and an ESB (was IAPA that Martin B, reckoned was closer to an ESB so that's what it'll become).

Funnily enough the ESB is too sweet too, although it's hidden by the hops currently.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service