Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94693

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

but doesn't alter the taste character

That's interesting Tony. I've been using 2 1/2 to 5% wheat in most of my beers for awhile and I'm getting sick of it, that slightly bready flavour. I'm just running out my grain at the moment and was going to drop wheat off the next order - but I might give Weeties a go
Let me qualify by saying, there is no noticeable taste difference. Remember, the weetbix are not malted wheat. Just cereal husks in a biscuit. I mean they must impart some flavour, but with 120g or 6 weetbix in a 4.5-5 kg grain bill, it's not going to be too noticeable. I don't even really understand, how it adds to head retention, it's just a tip I picked up. I believe cornflakes have the same effect.
the label says malted wheat biscuits. are you calling them a liar?
I think you'll find it means malt flavoured wheat biscuits. Perhaps I should find out.

Stop the press, I'll contact Sanitarium.
It says it is has malt extract added. I sent an email, inquiring about it, I'll let you know what I hear.
Wheat Bix will no doubt add to the flavour of your brew. If you can taste it when it's in your mouth... you can taste it when it's in the mash. Personally, I like wheat bix with sugar, it brings out the husky flavours of the wheat. I normally only have 2 at a time, so by that rationale, 10 or so in the mash should add some very love buscutty flavours to the beer.

Good on you Tony - you stick to your guns mate.
This weekend's the brew after 665 - it's the last of many grains from the bins. I'd originally planned Barry's Case Swap Bitter that received rave reviews earlier in the year but I'm a bit short on crystal and only have ADM Pils so I don't think I could do it justice - I'm also a little wary of SO4 ... but one day I mite do it
A bit of a pale bitzer.
So
3.695 ADM Pils
0.155 caramalt
0.100 Meidum crystal
0.175 last of that damned wheat
1.040 or there abouts, 10 or 12 IBU Super Alpha @60 and 15 gm or so Styrians @ 30 15 & 1
US05 - unless you can persuade me that SO4 and a few more Styrians will be the go !
I hope you've got something special planned for 666. Something red and 6.66% maybe?
Nah, staying pale and sub 4 - might do something good when I get to 700 though - perhaps a stout, which is what started this whole business
Bumpo !

Anyone got a preference for US05 or SO4 in a Styrian Goldings ale ?

The reason I ask, is that when I load up a recipe with Styrians and use US05 I get too grassey.

I've not used SO4 in this sort of recipe - I used Gervin / Nottingham in a slightly more highly hopped extract beer a few years ago and it muted the hops substantially.
Should I try SO4 and up the hops ? I'm not after a hop monster here, more something well balanced, maybe just favouring the hops
I'd still perservere with US-05 mate. Not that there is anything wrong with S-04 but put it this way...

If you use S-04, you'll need to double the amount of hops (if you want to taste them) which will increase your bitterness and possibly make it even more grassy. Now... with US-05, your beer would have given you the impression of grassyness because of the dryness and fuller attenuation that is characteristic with that yeast. Id say your solutution is mash a full degree or 2 higher than you normally do, and pitch 2/3 of a packet of yeast. If you dont want to mash any higher, bump that caramel malt to 250g - but either way, pitch 2/3 of a packet. In my opinion, grassyness is increased by lack of body in a beer - and most hop varietys will contribute this impression. Up the body, sweetness or Caramel flavour - and you should eliminate the grassyness.
I don't get the same effect with Cascade, Motueka or Hallertau - maybe I just don't like a lot of Styrian !

As the caramel supplies are finite - that's the end of the stock - I'll check the mash temps I've used on the grassey brews in the past - now what's the go with only 2/3rd of a packet of yeast ?

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service