Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94693

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Matthew's NZ IPA was quite good. The hop combo is one that I will try soon as well.
Accidentally turned a bottle of that into an NZ EisPA on the weekend. Stuck it at the back of the fridge to cool down quicker... I forgot about it and there was a big chunk of ice in it when I poured. I was disappointed, it completely balanced out the whole beer. Lost a bunch of the aroma too...
I've got fruit to ripen
What sort of fruit jt? Anything that you throw into a beer?
Strawberrys and tomatos but I'm not too keen on putting either of them in a beer

The strawberrys are doing better than the tomatos.
Both have plenty of fruit & flower, just slow to ripen. At least we're eating a few strawberries, still eating shop bought toms though .. very sad
I've got 3 pear trees with fruit waiting to ripen. One guess what my plan is for them this year ;-)
Matthew Perry? lol :)
:D Chocolate fish for Mr C!

Probably perry/cider as I don't think there will be enough pears. I'll top up with apple juice.
Peary Hills 90210....
Just popped the fermenter lid on this and had a whifff, hmmmm beautiful
Brewed an american pseudo-pilsner yesterday. Finally got the handle for my mill, so now I can stop pestering James P to use his. Although a manual handle is hard work....

Malt: Pilsner malt with carapils, munich and acid malt.

Hops: Rakau for bittering; liberty and amarillo for flavour/aroma.

Yeast: Wyeast 1056 American Ale

Should be interesting
I have had a Smack Pack of Wyeast Trappist PC (with Bret) in the fridge for a while and just couldnt be bothered brewing with it so I thought I better before it gets a little to old so here it is

A Monk Called Bret

62% Global Pils
20% Munich
4% Melanodin
4% Global Light Caramel
6% Clear Belgin Candy
6% Dextrose

66 Degree Mash

15Ibu Northern Brewer

30g Motueka @ 15

30g Motueka @ 5

30g Motueka and 20g Northern Brewer @ 0 and dry hop.

38Ibu

18deg pitch and 26 degree capped fermentation
Put down an APA/IPA (depending on wheather NZ hops puts it in one or the other). This is the test beer for the new mash tun, which I finaly finished last weekend. I've put the outlet 1.5" too high up, the slots on one side of the manifold are too wide, but apart from that I managed to get 27.2 liters out of an estimated 27.55 liters, so in my book it's a bit of a success.

Test beer

4.7kgs Golden Promise
0.4kgs DME (Had to add this as the Tun efficancy is only 64%, not the 75% I thought it would be)
0.3kgs 90 EBC Crystal

90 minute boil, which I'm trying after a BrewStrong episode.

96.8g Fuggles at 10 minutes
150g Riwaka at 5 minutes

Only late hops in this one. An idea I found on the Mr Malty site. It smells bloody good I must say. Not sure wheather to dry hop for three days as well. Any thoughts on this??

#S-04 yeast 2 liter starter using the new stir-plate ... if you have any spare money, get one ... the difference in doing a starter vs pitching a packet is bloody fenominal ... I've had to refill the airlock 5 times due to the activity ... by the way, has anyone heard of a dry airlock? A sort of rubber flap affair I believe.

Only issue I have had, is that after the whirlpool cool and a 30 minute rest the result still looked like mud. The hot break was all at the bottom, but bugger all cold break occured. I got it down to 25C in 20 minutes, but it's still looking like the Hutt river after a bad storm. Looking at maybe running it through a wine filter system with a course filter pad before bottling next weekend. Anyone tried the Harris Vinbrite?

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service