Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94693

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well as people are aware the Belgians age there beers for 6 months before they bottle, they do it for head retention and for the phenolics and esters to subdue. I reacon they are right!! But do you have to keep it in the secondry and on the lee's or can you just bottle it and not touch it for 6 months? (this is extremely hard in my case)
I'd be surprised if any of the big name brands did this any longer... aging is, to accountants, money down the drain

Dredging up an old thread for insights into Belgain yeast characters - this conversation is a cracker!  Another group of brewers in the States bundled their views into a useful summary paper below.  Accessed on the Basic Brewing Radio site.  Cheers

Attachments:
I love the white labs version... WLP550
I loved that yeast in Red Rackhams Treasure but thought it was a little too bubblegummy in Plan K. Was it the same yeast?

My wife recently enjoyed La Trappe blonde so I've been trying her on a few other Belgains but so far she only likes La Trappe Blonde. She didn't like Leffe Blonde which according to Wyeast are commercial examples of the same style. Maybe I'll just buy some more La Trappe and forget about trying brew something similar.
Interesting I thought Red Rackam was much more 'fruity' than Plan K. Plan K was a lot spicier but that toned down nicely and by last keg or so it was possibly my favourite beer <5% of the year. Certainly think Plan K was a little closer to what I was looking for than Red Rackham, so mad props to Steve Nally. I don't really remember getting bubblegum off either, especially not Plan K.
I only tasted Plan K once and it was straight after a pint of 8 Wired Brown Ale at the WnBC. Maybe it just seemed bubblgummy after the Brown Ale. I definitely remember commenting on bubblegum though while watching and learning from the APA judging.
For some reason I can't reply to the comments above on bottling vs secondary of Belgians...

In my experience you can bottle. I've done a few tripels with the (above maligned!) 3787. They did start off a bit hot and phenolic but subsided over time. Not sure how long it took but way before 6 months.
This is now my new favourite yeast for emergency quick-brew beers. Not only does it seem to have fermented out after 5 days, but it also appears to have dropped pretty much bright. I reckon I could carb this up and serve it tonight. Not that I will, but I could.
Just mashed in...

Bambule Golden Ale
100% Marris Otter

15 g Nelson Sauvin @ 60min
15g Nelson Sauvin @ 30min
20g Riwaka @ 15min
20g Riwaka @ 0min

Wyeast 1028
Mash @ 67C
OG: 1.045
IBUs: 40IBUs
Currently sparging my split mash wheat beers.

Both Beers:
58% Wheat Malt
40% Pils
2% Carapils
OG 1.044
Yeast: 1272

Beer One - MrsC Special:
Pacific Jade 12 IBU
NZ Cascade 5g @ 5min
NZ Cascade 5g @ 0min
Zest of 2 lemons
30g Crushed Coriander

Beer Two - Boysenberry Wheat:
I had an Invercargill Brewery Boysenbeery on Xmas day and it didn't taste the way I remembered it. This is an attempt to create the Boysenbeery Wheat Beer that was in my mind when I opened the bottle.
Pacific Jade 15 IBU
500g Boysenberries steeped in wort post boil
500g Boysenberries Added after primary
Eastie Boy's "Rid of Me" Dry Stout (for WBC)

88% UK Pale Malt + two secret malts (no flaked anything)
Secret gravity, secret hops @ secret times...
Not so secret 05 dry yeast.

I'll reveal it all after the judges pan me in the comp.

Pitched the yeast last night before heading out for a lamb tagine at Osteria del Toro (a couple of Hofbrau on tap, in nice big 500ml glasses - I wasn't drinking so couldn't tell the condition).

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service