Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94693

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Okay well I had to ferment it quite high (starting at 19 and ended up having to hold it at around 22-23) by the end to get it to attenuate, so I didn't have to worry about a d rest. It smells like Galbraiths (if you've ever been there) to me - bready, yeasty.

It worked a treat for a bunch of bitters recently, and not dry enough for an overhopped golden ale.

Thanks Stu, never had the good fortune to drink at Galbraiths. Sounds like it's going to be an interesting few brews with this.

No problem with this stalling and I had a cooler ferment 16 or 17 with a rise at the end.
Nice yeast, kinder on the hops, or at least less yeast prescence than the 1968 version.

Possibly not the clearest of beers, but there again I don't chill to help it floc

Still probably my favorite yeast this year so far.

Brewing an IIPA today to clear out some stock and put my two vessel system to the test with a bigger beer.  Brewed a few Belgians lately so it's time for some thing bitter & hoppy.

OG: 1.075

IBU: 75

FERMENTABLES:

7kg Pale Malt

500g Munich I

400g Caramalt

150g Dark Caramalt

150g Sugar

HOPS:

38g Super Alpha @ 60min
17g Stella @ 60min
15g NZ Golding @ 30min
15g Riwaka @ 10min
15g NZ Golding @ 10min
30g Riwaka @ 0min
30g NZ Golding @ 0min
30g Simcoe @ 0min
40g Riwaka Dry 5days
40g NZ Goldings Dry 5 days
40g NZ Styrian Dry 5 days
40g Simcoe Dry 5 days

WATER:

Ca 134ppm, Mg 4ppm, S04 102ppm, Na 30ppm, Cl 77ppm, HCO3 122ppm

YEAST:

US05

Two packets of 05 Mr C or a repitch?

Well spotted jt.  Two packets of US05.  One was old but had been stored well the other was fresh.  Chilling is great this time of year. Down to 18C in about 25min.

Screwed up my water volumes a little and ended up with 24L.  Forgot to allow for the final sparge water after the full volume recirc mash.  I think the beer will still plenty of oomph though.

Nice to see some Riwaka still floating about out there.  Envious MrC, this looks a tasty bev!

My Riwaka is from 2009 thanks to an anonymous RealBeer donor after a beer swap.  It can get a little petrol'ish if you over do it so I'm using it with restraint in this beer.  I heard somewhere that Riwaka should be kept under 3 g/L to avoid petrolliness.  I fell in love with Riwaka after tasting my first Bookbinder about 5 years ago.  The romance continues...

...and its a polygamous relationship lol!  Many smitten across the country I'm sure. 

Good to know about how to use it to best effect.  I've only had the honour once a couple of years ago - before it became all mysterious and elusive.  Nice one.

I know! Cracked open my second to last bottle of a Belgian IPA with Riwaka and Kohatu the other night. You can't get either for love or money this season and yet it's one of my best beers to date. Gutted.

Any ideas on how to substitute for the hop that supposedly has no substitutes?

I haven't tried to subsititute - just looked to other pleasures with NZ hop combos.  Cascade, Mot, Pacifica being my preferred trio just now.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service